Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 07:06 AM

12 year old dog - hyperventilating?

Eddy has this thing that I believe a lot of dogs get as they age.
He breathes in short, sharp breaths through his nose and then blows out through his mouth (with his mouth still closed).

Do you know what I mean?

Anyhow, this morning he scared me a bit, he tends to do this three or four times and then goes back to normal breathing.

This morning he had a prolonged 'attack' which took a good few minutes to finish and he looked really quite stressed and upset.

I don't know what to ask really... is there anything that can be done about it? Should I walk him on a harness rather than a collar? Should I see a vet?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Lottie,

It sounds like something a lot of our dogs do that we've had a post about recently. Hopefully someone will be along soon that has the original thread.
What was suggested in that thread is for you to gently massage his throat while it's happening or cover his nostrils and it will stop.
Cassie does it, usually when she's been sleeping and covering her nostrils seems to work.
Hope this helps
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 07:47 AM
This is the thread where is was discussed recently:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=974898
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks... Sorry
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
This is the thread where is was discussed recently:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=974898
Thanks, knew it was around somewhere

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks... Sorry
Don't apologise you daft thing. The first time it happened to Cassie, I was ready to go to the vet with her. It's quite scary when you don't know what it is. xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
It's quite scary when you don't know what it is. xx
It certainly was this morning, in the past it's subsided pretty quick but Eddy started panicking this morning which made it worse!

Thanks - the thread you referred me to is indeed what I've been experiencing with Eddy so I'll try blocking his nose next time it happens

Do you think the fact he was walked on a slip lead by his previous owner despite being a puller could've triggered it?
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Our old dog a BC used to do this, I used to worry that he had something in his throat, after a few minutes he was fine again. Blackie has started to do it as well, but the other BC didn't used to bother with it.

Ian
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It certainly was this morning, in the past it's subsided pretty quick but Eddy started panicking this morning which made it worse!

Thanks - the thread you referred me to is indeed what I've been experiencing with Eddy so I'll try blocking his nose next time it happens

Do you think the fact he was walked on a slip lead by his previous owner despite being a puller could've triggered it?
No don't think it has anything to do with the kind of lead. Cassie's been on a harness all her life and has done it since a pup. Think it's just a character trait more than anything. Blocking their nose and stroking their throat really eases it. Try not to worry
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi Lottie, It probably is just reverse sneezing but, have you considered asthma, as I'm sure you're already aware that dogs suffer with it too. Just in case it's at all a possibility I've included a link (which is actually about holistic treatment for both cats and dogs) in case it's of any interest to you.

ttp://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/amazapet-feline-canine-asthma-treatment.html