Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maggie williams
New Member!
Female 

20-03-2007, 10:25 AM

15 week pup with bad tum

Hi

My 15 week pup has had a bad tum for the last week or so. He is very perky, playful, full of energy and life, and definitely NOT off his food.

I have changed him from a complete food to boiled chicken and rice, with weetabix and egg for breakfast.

I have tried him with goats milk youghurt with probiotics too.

He is unable to go through the night without pooping on the floor, and his poo varies from being runny to semi-runny. Sorry for the graphics. Before this started, he had been going through the night totally clean from 8 weeks of age.

Is it possible that his tum is poorly because he is teething?
He has already lost some tiny front teeth this week, and is suddenly very chewy again. He was sick for the first time this morning.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 10:28 AM
A puppy of this age having loose stools and diarrhoea for such a long time, I would say take him to the vet asap. He will be dehydrating because of this, you do need to find the underlying cause, he is very vunerable at this age.

Although teething can affect them adversely sometimes, it could also be an infection or virus. At this age his immune system is quite suseptible and isn't able to fight off ailments like an adult dog could.

There seems to be lots of viruses about at the moment, perhaps he has caught one? Please do seek veterinary help
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2007, 10:48 AM
All mine have developed loose stools while teething so that could well be the cause.
maggie williams
New Member!
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I have booked an appointment for today with the vet.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:41 AM
good luck at the vets. Better safe than sorry i feel with pups. even older dogs can go down hill so fast.
maggie williams
New Member!
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Just to say that Fred has been to the vets.

It may be some sort of bacterial infection or colitis.

Apparently bad tums in pups can result in a twisted gut if left too long, so really glad to have got this sorted.

Vet gave a long acting pain killer, some Symulox antibiotics and instructions for Fred to be on a light diet for two days, and then gradually to introduce normal diet.

He described the sensation that Fred is feeling as being cystitis of the bowel - not nice. I can't believe that despite this, he appears happy and playful.

Anyway, hopefully this will clear up within one week.

Thank you to everyone who posted.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:18 PM
My vet always stresses not to ever feed yoghurt while giving antibiotics but recommends some live yoghurt when the antibiotics are finished. Perhaps others have had this advice too>
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Hope your wee one recovers quickly now.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Glad it has been investigated and he should be on the mend soon.
maggie williams
New Member!
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi Sue

The suggestion of the yoghurt came from an american chat board. It has to be with probiotics to replace the good bacteria in the gut. Not sure if it has any benefit.

When I gave Fred the yoghurt, he was not on any medication. I chose goats milk yoghurt because I know that many dogs have allergies to cows milk.