Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Back to basics again!

Hay,
As some of you may know I had a real problem house training Suki. We tried everything, then on the second attempt on using the crete training it worked. Now she has started messing again when im not there. So out comes the crete again. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? How long can she stay in the crete for? Oh and even when the back door is open she will still go in the kitchen on occasions.
Thanks
ATD x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Any one?
ATD x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi ATD,

I've not followed your threads I'm afraid so can't tell you if you're doing anything wrong (though I'm sure if you've been here for advice before you're not doing anything wrong!).

I wouldn't leave her in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time, preferably less.

Perhaps try taking her out at regular times instead of leaving the door open for her?

You don't think it's down to the fireworks do you? Since the fireworks Eddy, our old boy who is most definitely housetrained, has had two 'accidents' in the lounge - the first one I put down to senility but he did it again last night shortly after he refused the option to go out for a pee due to the fireworks.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Difficult to answer as i haven't seen your posts either so am not sure how old the dog is.

If the door is open when you are toilet training, it is often a nice coincidence that they go outside but they are not learning that outside is the only place they should go to the toilet and they view it as one of the places they can go. They show you this when they discover the door is shut and they choose to go inside rather than asking to go out.

If she is a very young puppy (or toilet training has never really got off the ground) she should be being let out to the loo on the hour every hour as well as once she has woken up, after eating, a lively game or the excitement of someone arriving (e.g. you coming home or visitors). She should never be told off for accidents (as this can teach them just not to poo or wee when you are around, but hide somewhere and do it insted e.g. behind the sofa). If you catch her in the act you can yell enough to stop her (but not shouting at her to scare her) and whip her out side quickly. Always praise loads and loads for outside wees and poos.

How long she is left in a crate really depends on how old she is. I don't feel young puppies should be left for more than a couple of hours. Tonks is now 10 months and can go four hours alone, but she has the whole of the kitchen and a crate with the door open as she has never been a chewer.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry will start again...
Suki is 2yo cocker. The back door was open because i was cooking not so she could use the garden. I havent trained her by leaving it open. I dont think it was the fireworks it was going on before they started. She messes through the night unless she is in the cage. And during the day while im at work unless she is in the cage. I was going to put a dog flap in but that seems pointless if she is going in the house when she has access to the garden.
Thanks
ATD
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Its a difficult one to answer, but my thoughts are whether you watch what she's done so you know whether she's been?

None of my dogs (all rescue) ask to go out (well, not quite true, but their requests are so subtle that they don't include waking you up if you're asleep).

So with all of them, we always 'monitor' poos and pees. Normally because their life is fairly routine, they know when to go, but if for some reason they haven't, I make sure I give them another opportunity.

How long are you expecting Suki to be able to hold on (overnight and when you are at work)? Before you leave her do you know when she last had a pee and a poo?

Does she get plenty of walks (my girls don't really like going in the garden either - much prefer to go out on a walk)?

There is evidently a fundamental problem if Suki is going in the kitchen when the back door is open. One of the reasons may be that she isn't being given a choice - if you let her out but she hasn't done anything, she will need to go during the night. The more times she does it in the house, the more 'normal' this will become.

As you say, back to basics again....
(1) clean everywhere she has messed thoroughly with bioligical cleaner to remove all traces of the smell
(2) take her out regularly, stay with her and give her lots of praise when she goes in the garden
(3) if she really doesn't like going in the garden, make sure you take her on sufficient walks to allow her to 'do her thing'.
(4) monitor her pees and poos - know when she has last been and whether she is likely to need to go again before being left for a long period. In this regard, regular times for feeding and walking should help with regular peeing and pooing.