View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 06:47 PM
No worries Dobermann - it isn't a hijack, as it is all relevant.

I will do very well for rabbit/hare and possibly even the odd pheasant (living on a shooting estate) but wondered whether I would have to gut etc or can I just feed whole?

Yogi already catches, kills and eats rabbits on a fairly regular basis, but interestingly he only seems to be eating the heads of late.

I am going to have a word with the abattoir where we get the lambs for the estate slaughtered, but they are an hour or so's drive away, so would have to just do the trip once a month or something. I will also have a chat with OH and see what he thinks about skinning and chopping up any sheep that die - assuming they haven't died of disease.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
No worries Dobermann - it isn't a hijack, as it is all relevant.

I will do very well for rabbit/hare and possibly even the odd pheasant (living on a shooting estate) but wondered whether I would have to gut etc or can I just feed whole?

Yogi already catches, kills and eats rabbits on a fairly regular basis, but interestingly he only seems to be eating the heads of late.

I am going to have a word with the abattoir where we get the lambs for the estate slaughtered, but they are an hour or so's drive away, so would have to just do the trip once a month or something. I will also have a chat with OH and see what he thinks about skinning and chopping up any sheep that die - assuming they haven't died of disease.
tbh I dont have the chance to get stuff 'whole' so everything is sorted by the time loui gets it but I would have thought that anything that should be left will be (by the dog)? My cats automatically left the gall bladder....

Smokeybear will know the answer to that one!^

Sounds good if you can stock up between the abattoir and the shoots etc though and DAF would maybe deliver to you? for other stuff...

Get a huge chest freezer and just stick the lamb in it I'm not telling Loui about your lambs he'd love a whole one he could eat over a few days, and he would too! He doesnt get lamb now but thats another story
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:21 PM
They said on the course to gut everything.. Intestines and bowel in particular?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No, I just have to feed a lot of them to my GSD, he has circa 10 at a meal.
I think that if you buy the Asda Smartprice box of chicken wings (about £1.50) you get 10-15 in it, just in case you cant get your usual source..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
I get my chicken wings from prize choice as they seem bigger then the supermarket ones rest of the food from natural instinct.
sorry peeps, for not multi-quoting
I think I had a look at natural instinct before but they were quite expensive? (I might be getting that muddled..)

from curiosity; Anyone get turkey wings from somewhere in bulk?
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Chicken from tesco, 4 chickens for £12, thinking now that's a bit expensive as my german shepherd eats half a chicken in one meal plus a bit of liver and veg. All other meat from tesco too plus tinned fish and eggs. Am going to try to pluck the courage to visit my local butchers soon.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Iceland have some meat very cheap
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
Chicken from tesco, 4 chickens for £12, thinking now that's a bit expensive as my german shepherd eats half a chicken in one meal plus a bit of liver and veg. All other meat from tesco too plus tinned fish and eggs. Am going to try to pluck the courage to visit my local butchers soon.
I'll need to go to Tesco here and price up but sure we only get 3 for £10. Wish my boy would only eat half a chicken and a bit liver he eats at least double and he works out expensive
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Iceland have some meat very cheap
Now there's somewhere I don't often go, will need to make a point of going on a shop and seeing what their prices are like. Do you think they are cheaper than Farmfoods?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Not been in Farmfoods so would
be interesting to compare
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I get Jake's stuff mainly from the butcher, but I get some stuff from the supermarket (especially when it is in the reduced section ) and a supplier.

I find the butchers great, coz you can get a whole load of different stuff, and most of what Jake gets they throw out so they sell it cheap.

Raw dog feeders (www.rawdogfeeders.co.uk) are the supplier I use, and they deliver all over Scotland, and I specifically remember that he told me they deliver to Mull, so I am sure they would deliver to you too
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >