View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:32 PM

What do people feel about the new John Lewis ad? (update @ post63)

Just wondered what people thought about the new John Lewisad which shows a family getting ready for Christmas with the catchphrase....2For those who care about showing they care"

Do you think it gives the right message about how to look after a dog responsibly?

If the campaign is all about showing how much you care about your family, is this the right message about where a dogs place is within the family?

There is quite a lot of discussion about this ad at the moment and wondered where you all stood?
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I have not seen it but, there is another dog forum where they are (in my opinion only) over re-acting some what.

I can see where they are coming from but, to be honest I don't think most people will even think about keeping a dog outside on the back of that advert.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:38 PM
dont think it shows how people keep their dogs, i mean how many people actually keep their dogs in a kennel like that anymore? most people have dogs in the middle of everything at christmas time i dont think it will influence how people keep their pets. and dont think its anything to get worked up over.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:40 PM
It does'nt sit right with me! The dog is clearly shown to not be part of the family.

The bit with the dog was almost like an advert for rescue dogs, needing homes at christmas!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Nor do I, it's an advert! If you see something on the telly, you don't think to yourself, "oh, maybe I should be doing that" do you? Maybe some people do, but thankfully, most people (with half a brain) aren't influenced by the ads!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I like the advert ..
Thought the kid was sweet bringing the dog a stocking ..
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I found myself all weekend, wailing at the telly, to take that doggy inside! I am shocked if there are folk who still use kennels - no offence - I know some dogs are kept outside for different reasons.

I think it's a bit of a backwards message "Here Irish wolfhound" "Have an xmas stocking but now I'm going to give you a wave and leave you out in the snow, alone at xmas"

It gets me the worse when the dog watches the boy ;-(
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I like the advert ..
Thought the kid was sweet bringing the dog a stocking ..
Totally agree. I think that since the dog is outside the kid bringing it a stocking is showing kindness and caring for the dog. Surely. I didnt think when I saw it - oh dear that dog is outside.

I dont like the advert though - John Lewis too expensive and it reminds me about the window advert.
I love the Irish Wolfhound.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by LillyRose View Post
I found myself all weekend, wailing at the telly, to take that doggy inside! I am shocked if there are folk who still use kennels - no offence - I know some dogs are kept outside for different reasons.

I think it's a bit of a backwards message "Here Irish wolfhound" "Have an xmas stocking but now I'm going to give you a wave and leave you out in the snow, alone at xmas"

It gets me the worse when the dog watches the boy ;-(
I agree though I think the people that keep their dogs outside due to work etc would still be horrified at the very old fashioned kennel in the advert, by previous posts some of the outside doggies on here have lovely large runs with excellent shelter, bad weather provision etc, can't imagine people taking it as advice on how to look after a dog but then my dogs are absolutely part of the family so are never outside without someone with them!
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:52 PM
John Lewis too expensive

News to me!

Perhaps I'm just too soft but the idea of the dog outside - ok but outside, in the snow and at christmas, brings a tear to my eye and not in a good way.I think bringing him a stocking is more cruel than not doing - see my above reply! lol
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »