View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I used to work for them as a vetnurse and clinic manager voluntarily (I am trained though) but left about 9 years ago due to my MS getting too bad. Since then though or probably in more recent years they seem to have changed beyond recognition and have a bad press. I think there are now far too many £1000s spent on the wrong things like too many chiefs and not enough indians to coin a phrase. They needed a new HQ and I am sure if that meant better services people wouldn't mind but did they have to spend a fortune on "State of the Art"? People donate money to help animals and not to pay extortionate wages or building costs. Our local shelter near Portsmouth is one of very few who are not run by the HQ so we donate money direct there because all the money given to them is used on the animals and they have their own control although obviously have some umbrella regulations to adhere to. I think it is sad that such an important institute has been taken over by moneygrabbing execs who feel they should benefit and not the animals
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Simple....they dont do what it says on the tin!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Total numbers of animals killed in 2009 was 60,231 – an increase of more than 3,000.

Membership subscriptions dropped by £46,000

Income increased by £9.3 million whilst expenditure decreased in all areas except for Freedom Foods and the National Call Centre
They claim their free reserves for 2009 were a reasonable £43.6million. They are also claiming that the free reserves for 2008 were only £53.9million when in fact it appears they were in excess of £70million.

9.3 million and they still bleat poverty!!!!
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Never had anything to do with them just the SSPCA when I wanted to get a piggie. I thought I would try rescues first and phoned up our local one. I got told they had a female who had just had pups but they didn't know when they would be ready for rehoming... Probaly 4 months So I asked if they had numbers of breeders or other rescues and he said no and put the phone down.. Maybe he was having a bad day but still
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I can only speak from my own experiences!

One of my lot came from the local RSPCA and I could not recommend them high enough, they were great with us and he still goes mad when he sees his old kennel maid on our local organised walks.

Ive contacted the RSPCA 4 times, one was for an owl we had in the garden, very tame and tired, they asked if it would be ok if we kept it over night which it was, kept in a cat basket with food and water and a lot happier in the morning. They picked it up the next day.

I contacted them about some chicken left next door for a 4 days with no one seeing to them - they came that night and put seals on the doors to see if anyone entered - no one did, the next day they were there with the police and took said chucks away.

I contacted them about a dog 2 doors down who was not being kept well - they came within 2 days and warned (adivised) the owners, dog now lives indoors and is a happy chap.

As I say I can only say as I find and thats what has been my experience.

However I do agree with others that they are not always eithe able (law wise) or totally willing. But I would say that the local branches that I have had contact with through rescue have all been great and only operate under the RSPCA banner with no funding coming from central HQ so please keep giving to them whether it be blankets, food donations whatever.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Not enough Indians. Too many Chiefs.
Like the NHS of the pet world!

I for one aren't fond of the RSPCA as they seem to have forgotten they are just a charity, not a law making organisation.

Oh and then there's Mark Evans......
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 10:27 AM
http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/2010...s-at-last.html

this is the latest thing they have said about the captive bolt guns
vwalling
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Just joined the forum so this thread is an older thread but I have a couple of questions that someone may or maynot be able to help with.
A local 'branch' of RSPCA in Preston is appealing for money and says it is stopping its waiting list/taking animals in from people who can no longer keep them. How does it work? Is that not what its all about? I struggle with the kill policy of most RSPCA 'branches' and do appreciate their dilemma but I used to run a rescue centre (nothing to do with RSPCA) so had good and bad dealings with them and sadly most were bad but the local inspector was brilliant and very helpful. She even adopted her dog off me!
On the whole though I would ask the following:
Why has the main RSPCA got such big reserves if times are hard and they are turning animals away at local level?
Do they need a big head office that no doubt costs a lot to run?
Is it a matter of the 'branches' not really being part of the
RSPCA so its bye bye tough luck we aint helping you?
I believe (via a 'branch' employee) that some centres that come under the RSPCA banner are not only independant of the RSPCA but also they pay money to RSPCA to use their logo etc? Hence me using branches in ' ' as it isn't really so, they are more of a franchise surely?
I was also told (can't remember who by) the RSPCA head office recently spent a large amount of money on new carpets that had the RSPCA logo in it?
If anyone can give more specifics on these questions I would be grateful as I always try to get info from more than one place before I make my mind up about something.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I dont think they are doing their job right at all.

Benjie came from the RSPCA - my OH's family was told he was good with other dogs, people and pretty much everything - he was 9 months old when they picked him up - he inst good with dogs, people or anything.

My friend found an injured stray once - RSPCA dont take in strays apparently.

We had an injured pigeon on our garden - and we have a lot of cats too in our neighbourhood - rang them up, "we are sorry no one is available to answer the phone right now..." WTH? Simularly with a local widlife rescue centre "Take it to your vet and they'll either put it down or bring it to us" - Why dont you just come collect it yourself and assess it yourself - some of us dont have transport!

They've been called out numerous times to the owners of 7 GSD/GSD x's all in terrible conditions, never walked and actually beaten - "Nothing wrong with them - they aren't thin and are in good health" - yeaah thats why they cower everytime a newspaper is rattled

A load of Numpties if you ask me
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I really don't have any time for them at all, I've dealt with them twice (longs stories so I won't bore you with them) and I don't know why I wasted any time or money phoning them. They seem OK when the cameras are running, but that's about it.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >