Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FILBS234
New Member!
Male 

22-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Chasing Deer

Hi we have an 18 month old GSD and he is very obedient and very well behaved EXEPT...when we are in the fields where we live(in the countryside) and he sees a small Hare or rabbit and lately a couple of Deer have been added to the list..as soon as he sees them he's off and gone out of sight in seconds we have learned that it is pointless calling him (to which he normally responds straight away)as he is so focussed on the chase he cant hear us.Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop him chasing any advise would be great..thank you..Allan P.S by the way his name is Archie
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Allan and Archie Sorry I don't have any idea as I have two sighthounds who forget everything they have ever learned when there are deer around the prey drive takes over., they become selectively deaf . Sorry I am not the best person to ask, but perhaps someone will come along shortly who can offer advice . I too would be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Meantime

ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2008, 08:44 PM
our two border collies are very quick to disappear after anything that moves at speed.

The two react very differently.

The younger one - about ayear old, very attentive - will be off very quickly but so long as she is still within shouting distance will come back.

The older one, two years old, is very different type of dog and is very focussed on whatever task she is on. When she spots something to chase the only way we can stop her is to give her a very firm 'No' during the second between her noticing it and deciding to chase. Once she has made up her mind to chase it is too late. To begin with the 'No' should be replaced with 'jump about like a complete tit and make lots of noise - anything to be more interesting than the quarry'.

So our only way with the elder one is to be one step ahead and extra vigillant.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry mate, I can't help you either but suffer from the same problem.

I think we have a couple of resident muntjack deer on our school site...we quite often see them on the CCTV footage, and the kids often spot them from their classroom windows.

Benson often accompanies me at night as we check the perimeter fencing for intruders, trespassers etc. However, when he catches the site of a deer he's gone...disappearing into the dark! Although our site is secure, I still can't find him for ages.

I've invested in a flashing collar and a hi-viz dog vest. I'm guessing the deer aren't going anywhere and neither is Benson. At least I can spot him easier now!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I would train for a solid "down" before letting your dog off anywhere where he may encounter deer.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

23-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I would train for a solid "down" before letting your dog off anywhere where he may encounter deer.

Unfortunately that just would not work with a borzoi
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Unfortunately that just would not work with a borzoi
but it should with the OP GSD
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by FILBS234 View Post
Hi we have an 18 month old GSD and he is very obedient and very well behaved EXEPT...when we are in the fields where we live(in the countryside) and he sees a small Hare or rabbit and lately a couple of Deer have been added to the list..as soon as he sees them he's off and gone out of sight in seconds we have learned that it is pointless calling him (to which he normally responds straight away)as he is so focussed on the chase he cant hear us.Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop him chasing any advise would be great..thank you..Allan P.S by the way his name is Archie
Allen, I'm not sure if it helps but one of our two was exactly the same at 18 months. She had a bad start having been rejected by her first owners and it took her over a year to 'settle' with us. Now at four years old she is much better, she will still go after them but gives up in a matter of minutes whereas at 18 months she'd be gone for half an hour or more.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
the 'No' should be replaced with 'jump about like a complete tit and make lots of noise - anything to be more interesting than the quarry'.
Yes, we tried that, and it did work if the deer were a fair way off and the wind was in our favour. (ie they were down wind of us)
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2008, 05:47 PM
My rescue boy is 11 months and i can call him off (the angel he is ) but my 2 yr old is the same as yours and my trying to be one step ahead ALL the time is very hard work

Sorry I'm not helping really am I (disappears in shame)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »