Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
speedycollie
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2008, 10:12 PM

aggressive behaviour when i or someone sneezes

i have done a lot with dogs/ working with dogs, read lot of books, my collie is 1 year and a week. she is obsesed with cats and obsessed with toaster and sneezing (turns aggressive/ frieghtened) i would like someone out there to have any ideas
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by speedycollie View Post
i have done a lot with dogs/ working with dogs, read lot of books, my collie is 1 year and a week. she is obsesed with cats and obsessed with toaster and sneezing (turns aggressive/ frieghtened) i would like someone out there to have any ideas
Hi, I would be temped to try having two people, one to pretend sneeze and one to play/distract while the fake sneeze is happening, it sounds like she is associating the sneeze with a bad thing so she gets aggressive/fearfull when it happens.
If the sneeze happens and someone else is playing with her then she should gradually start to stop associating it with "bad" things.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi, good advice from Teg's-Mum.

Not sure that I can post a link, but there is advice about noise sensitivity on the border collie rescue site (under breed advice - behaviour issues). This also suggests making a recording of the noise and playing it very quietly (i.e. so quietly that there is no reaction) for short lengths of time in the background, slowly building up the noise level.

As for the cats, again a really collie trait - if it moves, chase it. My border collies lived with a cat which they readily accepted, but would still chase someone else's cat outside given the chance. If only the cats would stand their ground, the dogs would soon learn to leave alone! More practically, it is probably best to try and distract your dog on seeing a cat, the trouble is, once a collie focuses on something, it can be a devil of a job to get it's attention. A special squeeky toy or ball might do the job here - one that he isn't allowed to play with very often so that it remains 'high value'.
speedycollie
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2008, 01:33 PM
i will try out your training tips many thanks i will let u know if it has worked
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I was going to suggest both of these tips but got beaten to it. The tape is good, because you can play it a few times a day and do your play at the same time. Hope it works............I would put everything that she doesn't like on the tape and play each one from time to times till she realizes that it's simply a noise. I owned a BC once that had 'sensative hearing' and would react like that to certain noises, a vet reccommended this idea to me as he suggested that she heard at a higher pitch and it startled her, so she reacted aggressive from fear/jumped....and it worked. All the very best