Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Aggressive Behaviour

I don't know what to do, this has been building up for ages, Tara has hated Nia since day one, yet she doesn't hate Blue my other dog. Its so odd, Nia has never done anything to upset Tara, but for some reason she just hates her. Nia is submissive as anything and as good as gold, but tara used to bark at her and growl and snarl, but now she bites, and she means to hurt, they're never left alone together obviously, but today I was outside with Blue and Nia and Tara came outside and with no warning at all and grabbed Nia by the stomach, I had to push Tara off with my foot. It was horrible. I love all of my girls, I've done everything all of the usual hiarachy things etc, and Nia makes no challenge towards her authority and is quite happy being where she is in the order of things!!!

Any help gratefully received, otherwise tara is going to have to go and live with my best friend, which i don't want as she is my eldest baby, but this is getting out of hand.....
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Have they both been spayed?
Might be worth getting a professional behaviourist in to help, ideally doing weekly one to ones with you.
Good luck
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh Lorna, I'm so sorry to be reading this. I can't help you, I wouldn't know what advice to give. It seems to me as if you're not going to cure this one, as Nia is more than happy to submit but it seems to make no difference to your Tara. I suppose it's like humans, some people just don't get on, or maybe it's a case of jealousy???? Do you think she might be jealous of you showing Nia any attention at all, so wants rid of her? I'm so so sorry, it doesn't sound like a one off to me I'm afraid, so I can't offer any helpful advice. This thing goes deep by the sounds of it, and I would hate for Nia to get hurt any more than she has. Oh dear, hope you're not too traumatised by today's event. This needs a lot of thought, but I don't think there's a way out - do you? Does anyone??

I know you're obviously doing all the right things, you know what you're doing, nothing missing there. Basically, I think it's time you had a one to one with Tara maybe and instilled into her that you're the leader of this pack not her, so that if you raise your voice to her if you spot she's even thinking of going for Nia, she would back down immediately and slope off? She's not listening to you I don't think, she's on a mission, and her mission is to rid the pack of Nia that's my personal opinion. Someone will know what you can do, I don't I'm afraid. So, so sorry to have read this.Take care.xx
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 08:50 PM
ian dunbar, a leading behaviourist asks in one of his aggression seminars...

how many fights have the dogs been in?

and how many have led to veterinary treatment?

if the answer is say 50 fights and maybe 2 vet visits, then you dont have a problem.

if the answer is 50 fights and 15 vet visits, then you have a problem.
if the latter, i would seriously recommend rehoming one of the dogs.

Dogs have arguments just like humans and are very accurate with their bites. If they mean to hurt each other they will. If not, you may just find theres alot of noise without much injury.

However, ask your vet for a referral to a reputable behaviourist in your area. its not really something that can be resolved on a forum as there are so many questions that need to be asked and most behaviourists will want to delve deep into the heart of the problem and the whole situation, which takes time.
I hope you manage to find someone to help
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Well they seemed to be behaving this evening (my whole house is open plan.....very hard work, have a gate across to the kitchen and thats it!) so I had tara with me, and as I went in the living room she got thru the gate, and went straight for nia who was having a drink of water, and she's ripped her ear....

So thats that, no more second chances, next time could be Nia's throat, I think my baby girl is going to have to go, I can't take the risk, if Nia goes she could just start on Blue so I'd be back to square one. This is a nightmare. Tara knows I'm in charge, there are no authority issues, I think Tara just hates her. I've tried everything...

I'm in bits.

Thanks Helena, trivial compared to what you're going through, but I just feel so sad
Thanks all for your replies, I am really grateful. Unfortunately, its been about 50 fights and 15 trips to the vet. I want to rehome her, but the only place who I know who will have her, has a child....to be honest I don't feel I know her anymore, and I don't think I want her near a child at all. I don't know what to do, she's not the girl I grew up with anymore.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:13 PM
trouble with bitches, is once they start fighting, they never forget.

i hope you manage to find her a good home

has she ever shown aggression towards people? its just, dog aggression is often very far away from human aggression. however if she has been aggressive with people, then you are right, putting her with a child is too big of a risk.
safneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree with Jenny. Dogs fight for mating rights (even if they are neutered), Bitches fight for breeding rights which is way more important. Bitches, if not well matched have been known to fight to the end. Thats what us women are like ove men!

I know its not what you want to hear, but I think you are best to consider rehoming one of the bitches.

Things to consider: Which one is newest? Can you return to rescue? Which dog gets along best with your other dog and also, which dog would find another home easiest?

Maybe you can get rescue backing and rehome straight from yours? :hugs:

I cannot begin to comprehend your feelings. I have never had to make this choice. My heart goes out to you!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you, I live with my stepson, who is the same age as my friend's son, and she has never tried to hurt him, or been agressive, its just Nia. Nia gets along best with Blue, they are best buddies and they have never known life without each other, hence it being best if Tara is the one who goes.

I have spoken to my friend she will have her at the end of the week. Unless there is a miracle in her behaviour between now and then (very unlikely!) i think that is going to have to happen!

I'm going to keep trying with everything that I know....and keep my fingers crossed for a miracle, I just can't risk Tara killing Nia. As then I would lose both of my babies!

I'm so gutted.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Have PM'd you.
safneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2007, 09:57 PM
At least Tara will be with a friend so you can keep in touch Maybe they can become friends at a distance.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >