View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Such a scary thing to happen. I agree with others, it probably all happened so fast they didnt even realise it was Tabitha. The things with dogs is that they are a bit simple. The more something hurts them, the more they attack. An example I mean it by, my old Max once met a hedgehog in the garden. He went up to sniff it and got pricked on the nose. Annoyed and shocked, he tried to grab it. He got pricked even more. Now in pain, he tried to bite the poor hedgehog who was now curled up in a ball. He ended up with a mouth full of spines. The hedgehog left after a bowl of dog food as the victor!! My point is (sorry, bit long winded!) If one of the dogs ran to Tabitha and she panicked and lashed out, most dogs will retaliate there for pushing Tabitha into defending herself so before you know it, you've got WW3 on your hands. What started out as a chase or a well aimed swipe, ends up with wound up animals trying to out do the other one. The fact that they all were friends again later is great. They've not frightened each other into avoidance. I wouldn't worry yourself too much. Just keep a close eye on them for a while. Hope they all recover from their scratches soon.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Jake has always chased the cats so we are very vigilant when we let him out in the garden - we've got quite a big garden so I always get the cats up to the patio before the dogs go out. Sometimes Ailsa goes out first; she will chase if they are moving quickly but I know she won't hurt them either deliberately or accidentally. Jake, on the other hand has caught Ollie 3 or 4 times in the 3 years we've had the cat. On one occasion I thought he had frightened him to death, there was a lot of blood too, but the cat had bitten it's tongue - after a quiet couple of hours the cat recovered and still puts himself in Jake's way, little buggar. At night, I take Jake out for his last wee on a lead as that was one of the occasions he caught the cat. So far, touch wood we are managing the situation. It's the old prey drift scenario with Jake so I think I am always going to need to cope with this issue for the sake of the cats. Your situation seems a bit different, although having said that Jake has been known to sit and be comfortable with the cat indoors but as soon as the cat is outside and moving it's another story. I think you just need to be a little careful at the moment and suck it and see really.....good luck......x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Interesting to hear that this has happened to a few of us. Tabitha is completely fine but the dogs had some impressive welts come up on their heads. The more I think about it, the more I think Alfie may have seen her first and maybe tried to chase her and Lily jumped in but quickly realised it was Tabitha. Her and Lily were locked onto each other. I am still amazed that Tabitha had such a tiny nick given what could have happened.

As much as I will be super vigilant from now on, it shows the restraint of both dogs when they realised it was their cat. Unfortunately for them, Tabitha didn't show the same!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2