Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Dogs started attacking

hi i will start at the beginning, my dog candy turned 2 last may. we got little junior on the 13 may(he was only 4 weeks )two days after getting him candy went into season, when she came out of season she had a full blown phantom pregnancy. she was like a totally different dog, really nervous/nippy. on advise from the vet we waited until the phantom pregnancy was totally passed then had her spayed. she is back to normal now really loving and friendly, the problem is she has started attacking female dogs(only females never males)and the other night my fiance tried to tickle me and she totally lost it, she was trying to bite him but i stopped her, now when ever we are carring on having a laugh candy comes running viciously barking at him. she is fine with him ant other time. please help as my partner is moaning at me because i wont give her into trouble for it
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 05:23 PM
She sounds extremely stressed, and it may be partly hormonal, but tbh I wouldn`t play fight in front of my dogs - they really don`t understand it.
Regarding her behaviour when out - I would get in touch with an APDT or APBC qualified trainer or behaviourist.
It may well be the hormone swings after the spay, but you still need to deal with it through training because otherwise it becomes habitual.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Have you spoken to your vet yet? I would do that before you do anything else so they can rule out anything medical causing this problem. If it's not medical they can probably recommend a behaviourist.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
Have you spoken to your vet yet? I would do that before you do anything else so they can rule out anything medical causing this problem. If it's not medical they can probably recommend a behaviourist.
i have had her to the vets they say shes as fit as a fiddle, people i have spoken to say she is just being a typical bitch, but i dont think so
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi

I would get a second oppinion from another vet, and then consult a behaviourist.

Make sure the dog isnt suffering first, before modifying any behaviours.

Definately check out the APDT website for reputable trainers/behaviourists.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I would not play fight in front of my dogs either.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Simba hates it when my OH and I play fight, not that we do much in front of the dogs [they dont understand] Simba has gone for my OH a number of times, once really hurting him, bruising and peircing the skin so we are VERY carefull not to do anything like that now.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Simba hates it when my OH and I play fight, not that we do much in front of the dogs [they dont understand] Simba has gone for my OH a number of times, once really hurting him, bruising and peircing the skin so we are VERY carefull not to do anything like that now.
hi katie_7590 it isnt only play fighting she does it, i can be standing washing the dishes and my OH will come in and touch my shoulder and that is enough to get her going. luckily she hasnt bite him hard enough to break the skin, my OH says its me because she doesnt do it when im not there i