View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Have you ever felt compelled to 'say something'?

..to another dog owner?

Hannah's thread inspired this one, where she said he heard someone say they had to smack their dog the other day - I know I wouldn't have been able to help myself and would have said something and just wondered, is it just me and my big gob?

The one thing that stands out most, when I have just had to say something is when we come across people who say they are going to breed their dogs, and are clearly a BYB

I'm never nasty, just highlight that it is unethical and that Rescues are overflowing, and that breeding should only be done after health-tests and when a person is more a less an expert in the breed. The funny thing is it has always been bokes! Don't think I've ever come across a woman who's been intending to breed (or sharing that she is).
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
All too often unfortunately. Generally it's something along the lines of "You might want to think about using a lead in future" sometimes it's less polite than that This is normally after their dog has attacked/harrassed mine.

I did have words with a girl who was talking on her mobile phone whilst her two jack russell puppies belted towards me and my colleague while we were walking the highly reactive dog at work. I mean she was well behind them, made no attempt to call them back and they were belting towards us at top speed barking all the way. My collegue had to tow the reactive dog away as he a. wanted to eat the puppies and b. didn't want to leave me. I occupied them while the other dog was led away and then I set off back to the car park. The puppies continued on with me. 10 minutes later I was even further ahead of the owner and back at the car park. I still had the puppies with me and she finally tried to call them back because we'd reached the car park. Funnily enough the puppies found me more interesting because I'd intereacted with them rather than chatted on the phone so they wouldn't go back to her. In the end I walked back with the pups and informed the girl that she might want to make more effort in furture as I could have walked off with them, they could have had a very nasty experience if they'd met the dog I was with muzzle or no muzzle, not to mention severely annoying any dog walker she may come across in future.

She gave a pretty poor apology, I just hope she thinks twice in future. If not I can see those dogs being dead, lost or stolen before they are 2.

Sorry got in to rant mode there...
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, frequently Azz.

I am afraid that I am not too good at keeping quiet when something makes me mad (comes with getting older probably ) and one of my most common conversations go as follows (a very common one I suspect):

Scene - me walking Jimmi quietly and peacefully on lead, when a dog comes hurtling towards us with owner smiling fondly some way away.

Owner.."it's alright, he only wants to play"
Me.."please call your dog, mine doesn't do play and can become aggressive if jumped on"
Owner.."no, it's fine - he will look after himself"
Me..."PLEASE call your dog"

By which time said dog is jumping all over Jimmi, and he is growing defensive which results in other dog's hackles going up and lip to curl; I pick him up even though it does my back no good at all and of course this makes me even crosser. Other dog leaps all over me trying to get at him and owner is still smiling. At this point I let rip through gritted teeth:

"If you had any sense at all you would notice that my dog was on a lead and make sure that your own dog was under control until well past. For all you know he could be recovering from an operation; or be extremely aggressive so why would you think that it was okay to allow your dog to leap all over him?"

Anyone hitting their dog always makes me want to hit THEM (I did once, with my riding crop), but fortunately we don't see that very often.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I have 'said something' on a number of occasions usually while smiling through gritted teeth

I think it is pointless to take a confrontational approach , this only alienates people and is unlikely to bring results likewise a patronising 'I know' best attitude.

A friendly matter of fact approach is I think likely to bring the best results
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I do say something Like Bitkin does when out with Meg as she reacts when other dogs invade her space and pester her.

O/H has also told the idiots opposite to use leads,it's like the muppet show/mr bean show combined here in a morning when they take out there 3 dogs,you have never seen anything like it,none have leads on and all three go in different directions up & down the street, and he's standing there shouting at them or chasing them calling them to get in the car
You may as well hit your head off a brick wall as try & talk to them,a guy had words with her about the dogs running upto the gate barking & growling etc,her answer was well don't walk past my house then

Worst part is they are SBT's, as if they don't get enough bad press as it is!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Frequently, and I do not mince my words either, some of which are rather norty.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Yes often
My pet hate is over sexed dogs juming on my spayed bitches . The owners often laugh and say it's ok he's only playing ! This while my 12 year old whippet is being flattened by a huge dog .
My response a bit choice
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Frequently, and I do not mince my words either, some of which are rather norty.
I can't imagine a norty word slipping from your lips Malka!!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I have 'said something' on a number of occasions usually while smiling through gritted teeth

I think it is pointless to take a confrontational approach , this only alienates people and is unlikely to bring results likewise a patronising 'I know' best attitude.

A friendly matter of fact approach is I think likely to bring the best results
I try my best to remain polite but I have to admit if their dog has been aggressive towards mine and the adrenaline has gotten in to my blood I do find myself saying things I later wish I hadn't...
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I have to say something !!!
PET HATES: Breeding from a pet dog, when they know nothing about breeding.
Thinking it is OK to do no training.
Getting annoyed with a dog for not doing as it is told when the dog does not understand.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >