Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 12:08 AM

Metallic smelling rear end

Sigh, so Cain's stomach is playing up again. He passed splatty poos for the last week. He has been much better on raw and when he went through a splatty phase last month I started keeping a food diary. He had solid perfect poos for weeks so I stopped keeping the diary but stuck to the same feeding regime. He is now passing pudding consistancy poos. I've had him on plain chicken mince, breast and wings for the last 4 days and his poos are now solid again.

However tonight he started having strange wind which smells strong and metallic, a lot like iron. He has a little leakage from his rear end which he licked clean. He had a solid poo shortly after to I don't think the leakage was diorrehea. For the record there is no blood in his poo so it's not that and his recent food has been low blood like chicken not beef or lamb.

He's had this smell twice before, it last one maybe two days then went away for several weeks. I've done a quick google and apparently this may indicate anal gland trouble?

I really hope not! Cain HATES the vets and there is no way he'd cope with having his anal glands expressed. He isn't scooting nor chewing/licking his rear end excessively, just the metallic smell.

Could anal gland trouble be causing his tempermental tummy or is it likely unrelated? Do you think if blocked they will clear themselves? As said before he only had the smell for a day or two before it went away, it's not a regular thing but has now occurrd enough times to be if concern.

This dog's bum in a nightmare!!! Any advice?
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi

That metallic smell is blocked anal glands - caused by the fact that his poo's have noy been firm enough to clear them as they pass through...

Its a quick - if unpleasant job to get done at the vets or groomers. You can learn to do it yourself.....

Cheers

Thalice's Mum
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Sounds like you're going to have to face the vets hon.....

x0x
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 07:51 AM
The smell has gone this morning, I'll see if it reoccurs during the day at all. How do you know when there is actually trouble enough that a vet is required? Any time there is a smell?

My theory is that perhaps his anal glands weren't emptying due to his lack of solid poos. Now that he's passed solid for a few days maybe it helped empty his sacs (which I expect were fairly full) and this was just the last bit escaping? I read an article which said that this emptying can happen occassionally and not to worry unless it is a regular thing.

He's only had this happen two/three times in a whole year, always after having a spate of soft poos. It's always been gone within 24 hours. Surely if he had a serious problem the smell would last longer and he'd be more aggravated by his rear end? They seem to be clearing themselves?

I will absolutely take him to the vet if he needs to go but he literally melts down and us a stressed mess for days after. He can't even be patted by most of the vets so I can't imagine that state he'd get himself into if he needs him glands done if this becomes regular then I'd definately need to learn to do it myself. I don't want to put him through anything at the vets that is not totally necessary, he just can't cope there. Poor Cain
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Another sign of blocked anal glands is when they rub their bum along the ground. They may well have emptied themselves and not worth stressing him out unnecessarily by taking him to vet. If he is not having a discharge or giving attention to his rear end then probably all ok.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks. He's nor butt scooting, chasing his tail or excessively chewing or licking his rear end so it doesn't seem to bother him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 11:31 AM
If I were you, I'd give him a raw carrot at least once a day, coz that keeps the anal glands clean as it scrapes its way back out as they can't digest them! I've never had a gsd with blocked anal glands not ever! It's normally smaller dogs who need them emptying often I think. Try the raw carrot, it keeps my dogs free from problems plus they're a healthy treat.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I think the boney chicken wing meals and firm poos will have cleared his glands. If you start noticing they are a bit blocked up then feed plenty bone as it makes them 'struggle' a bit which means the glands empty naturally. The minute I see soft stools I just up the bone for a day or two and mines fine. Never had blocked glands either, so must work!

(you can actually see them emptying right after a poo and just before they stand up after firm poo - oh the things you discuss when you have a dog eh!)
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Try adding a handful of plain branflakes to his dinner, that usually sorts Missy out.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 07:42 PM
He loves raw carrots so I'm sure he wouldn't object to one daily. I'm going to start feeding him a little more bone in general.

The smell never came back. So it seemed to be solved by the solid poo. I think that he doesn't have a problem with his anal glads, it the poo I need to get sorted.

Anyway it all seems to be sorted now. Thanks for the lovely conversation