View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Your pup is peeing on the floor because he has not yet understood that he should not. Try taking him out side at least once every hour and stay out with him until he goes, lots of praise and then back in for an hour, that way with luck you will break the habit and he will soon realise that outside is the place to go. IMO 10 weeks is too soon to expect a pup to be dry or house trained.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi

Congrats on the new edition to the family.

You could consider puppy pads. Friends have said they seem to work very well. Very absorbant and could leave it down so that it keeps the sent.

It is a little harder when living in a flat, but if you are able, try to take the little one out as soon as they wake up.

During training, I have found with all my girls that after a few weeks of taking them outside everytime as soon as they wake up or after having something to eat, word, they get into the habbit of knowing where I want them to go and if progress to asking to go out. I always use a comand and praise.

If had an accident I would take them to the place that you want them to go. As with all training praise good behaviour.

Good Luck

Min xxxxxxxxxx
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Our dog trainer said that using paper or puppy pads is training them to go in the house and so they will have accidents. We have found our pup has been much better since we took the puppy pads away, and make sure we put him outside to go every 45 minutes. He does seem to have less accidents in the house with this method.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Have to agree, what is the point in training your pup to go indoors on paper or a puppy pad when what you should be training them to do is go outside on the grass or whatever. Personally I do not train at all as no dog will willingly soil its nest so all that is needed is access to the outside and encouragement to use it.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I have never used puppy pads, but I was thinking of the situation re living in a flat.

Min xxx
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by sanchez
He's not crated at night. He sleeps with me and my husband (i know its wrong!!).
It's only 'wrong' if it causes an issue for your family unit. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing wrong in it at all.

I'd go along with Pita and Heidi, without question. There isn't, as far as I'm concerned at least, any point whatsoever in teaching your dog to go indoors, be it on paper or pads.

Simple math tells me that the more access a dog has to outdoors, the more it will toilet outdoors. I work from home all day too, and I leave my rear patio door open so that our dog can pop in and out as she pleases. Though I understand that if you live in a flat, that might not be available.

As Heidi1 writes, just do your best to let him out as regularly as possible. The dog will soon adapt and get the idea.
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I used pads of a night when Abby was a pup. When she didnt need to go in the night, about 4 months I think, we would come down in the morning and find them unused, and then we were able to stop putting them down. Worked like a dream for me.

I think the secret is to anticipate when the dog is likely to go and take them out first, like when waking up, and shortly after a meal, and say every hour and a half since he last went.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
The puppy pads worked for us as well.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I agree that routine is everything for pups, try to prevent the weeing by anticipating it. Also I think it can be a good idea to confine them to one room when they're really little as they can sometimes forget where to pee or get carried away with what they're doing and not make it in time. Bit like kids really!

I personally have no problem with puppy pads, if it works for you then use them. It may take a bit longer to house train your pup, but you'll get there in the end, 10 weeks is very very young still.

My pup is now 12 weeks old and has been clean in the house from day three of coming home, but then we're able to leave the backdoor open and she's crated overnight and lets us know when she needs to go out in the morning.

On the otherhand my sisters Bichon is now 7 months old and is just beginning to be dry overnight and took a month or so to be clean during the day.

Each pup is different, patience is the key!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 06:51 AM
sanchez, I hope your little pup has had a good night with you x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >