View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Thats just my point--the list does seem to be endless and is apparently accepted and thought by all concerned to be the right thing to do!

I don't think it is.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Thats just my point--the list does seem to be endless and is apparently accepted and thought by all concerned to be the right thing to do!

I don't think it is.

rune

Clipping a breed like a Chinese Crested isn't altering the dog in the same way dyeing a poodle, painting the markings on a dobermann using mascara(oh yes this is done !) etc

The Breed is not a true"hairless"breed like the Xoloitzcuintle is(& even this breed has hair to some extent).

The breed standard states

A small, active and graceful dog; medium- to fine-boned, smooth hairless body, with hair on feet, head and tail only; or covered with a soft veil of hair
Coat
No large patches of hair anywhere on body. Skin fine-grained, smooth, warm to the touch. In Powder Puffs coat consists of an undercoat with soft veil of long hair, veil coat a feature.
It is not to decieve anyone especially Judges who know all too well that the breed is not totally hairless, shaving/trimming is used to enhance the dog for the show ring.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
In what way does it enhance it?

I don't understand the mentality of it all. To me it is like baby shows and the pagents they hold in the US----which are slightly better as at least the kids generally have to have some kind of ability to do something other than look good!

rune
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I havent said its a bad thing - just said the people commenting now wouldnt have cared before
Just like people didnt care about others things pointed out by her - regarding the health of certain breeds - I spose we are just lucky that our breed are'nt suffering through health and the worse they can check for is clipper rashes.
Most dogs in the ring will have had to been clipped let that be just face, just a line down the back, or a line down back legs or all over.

Double standards if you ask me when poodles, lowchens and any other breed are being clipped with out any come backs.
The hairless may be clipped down to take off any stuble but a DNA test can PROVE the dog is hairless as only hairless dogs can carry the hairlesss gene - they arnt false/wanna be hairless - they are trimmed or what ever for presentation. (rightly or wrongly - some will find it acceptable some wont - but dont just think CCs folk are the only ones doing such things, because they are the breed highlighted for it, and happy to admit such things).
i know a few of those
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
In what way does it enhance it?I don't understand the mentality of it all. To me it is like baby shows and the pagents they hold in the US----which are slightly better as at least the kids generally have to have some kind of ability to do something other than look good!

rune
It just gives the dog a "cleaner"look-one reason that I prefer breeds whose breed standards do not require any tampering with the dog other than grooming

Having said that most serious Border Collie, Bearded Collie & Cavalier exhibitors are not adverse to a bit of judious scissor use(even though the Bearded Collie breed standard actually forbids it !!)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But everyone knows they have been clipped - I do not like the clipping done on some dogs - Setters being one.
CC's are meant to be hairless and therefore clipping is done to cover a fault.
It is a major difference to me.
But - as you said - if there is a DNA test available - maybe the people with the CCs should get that as evidence -if everyone had a certificate you would be sorted

I think the programme was a bit sensationalist - BUT - it has highlighted breed issues and health issues - most puppy people who come to classes have now at least asked about health testing in their pups parents.....5 years ago the GP had not clue....surely this is actually a step in the right direction?

Anyways enough from me.....
people know hairless are clipped too
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i know a few of those
I have a few suspicions but dont know for fact - if you do then report them..
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It just gives the dog a "cleaner"look-one reason that I prefer breeds whose breed standards do not require any tampering with the dog other than grooming
well thats just it, the clipping of un-wanted hair is just that 'grooming' I hope these people that dont 'agree' with the clipping dont ever get a hairless breed - leaving them un clipped, or may be hair growing into eyes or under skin is kinder than taking a few mins to whip it off - we all know its natural for hair to grow.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I have a few suspicions but dont know for fact - if you do then report them..
no, its one of those you know they do it but cant prove it
theres an article in the dog paper this week, will read it when im at work tomorrow
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
no, its one of those you know they do it but cant prove it
theres an article in the dog paper this week, will read it when im at work tomorrow
any judge, judging properly will no a shaved off puff anyways. The teeths a big give away!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >