View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:40 PM

RSPCA - some love 'em, some hate 'em - why?

Why are some people so against the RSPCA?

I know it is claimed that alot of their funds go on high salaries for the big wigs etc, and that they are one of the richest charities as far as the central fund is concerned yet funds allegedly don't get filtered down to the branches properly, but is there any hard evidence of any of this?

I've also tried finding their euthanasia/intake percentages which are are said to be very high - again, can't find any hard evidence.

Anyone?!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I dont know
All I have agains them is they steal from the Scottish charity
They advertise in Scotland and people think it is a UK based charity so leave money to them in wills and things thinking they will be helping dogs in Scotland
Unfort RSPCA and the SSPCA are different
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I dont like them or have respect for them..There a disgrace if you ask me! They think they are a law in them selves.

I remember when they were left money in a will, were they greatful? No they took the other two people that recieved money from the will to court to try and get more

They do whats best for there company and not the animals, they raise aload of money and build new offices ect?? They could increase kennel space, as the number of neglected dogs is increasing every year..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Who likes them?

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Why are some people so against the RSPCA?

I know it is claimed that alot of their funds go on high salaries for the big wigs etc, and that they are one of the richest charities as far as the central fund is concerned yet funds allegedly don't get filtered down to the branches properly, but is there any hard evidence of any of this?

I've also tried finding their euthanasia/intake percentages which are are said to be very high - again, can't find any hard evidence.

Anyone?!
The National RSPCA receive all the donations from wills etc, however all their branches have to be self financing & receive no money from the National RSPCA. The Inspectors are employed by the National RSPCA, whereas the managers, kennel staff & animal collection officers are all employed by the branches.

They no longer recieve strays & more recently a press report suggested(now denied)that the branches in future would only be accepting abuse/neglect cases.

The National RSPCA spend millions of GBP each year on publicity, campaigns & TV begging adverts-yet none of the money these things generate goes to the branches who are the sharp end of the rescues.

They did, when they were responsible for strays, put down 1,000s of dogs each week as the branches only recieved funding for the strays for 7 days.

Getting hold of an Inspector is very complex & rarely as easy as it is made out to be on the TV programs. It does appear that they fail to investigate many reports-unless the TV cameras are around.

I made the RSPCA aware of an address where the dogs were not being treated in inline with the 2006 Animal Welfare Act. They never visited & one of the dogs has since died ! Another case they never investigated regarding the treatment of 2 cats was also ignored & now one of the cats is also dead.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I contacted them when a puppy was dying. They didn't come out for days! The puppy died And the owner stuck the pup in the wheelie bin

Disgusting if you ask me
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Not enough Indians. Too many Chiefs.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't like the way they are against pedigree dogs rather than against back-yard breeders or people producing "doodle" puppies for oodles of cash without doing any health checks.

We had someone round our door from them collecting and my husband said "sorry no as you don't like pedigree dogs do you?" The man from the RSPCA said "no" and walked away!

Prefer to support our local independant rehoming dog's home.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Whenever I have called them for help regarding an animal, they have done nothing to help.

One such incidence was when I was a child (Around 9?) & I found an injured hedgehog. They always said on the RSPCA shows that if you found a hedgehog during daylight hours or injured then you should call their helpline & they would put you in touch with someone who could help. When we called up they told us that nature would take it's course soon enough, not to bother with it & they wouldn't/couldn't give us the number for a local nature centre to call for further advice. Luckily we called our veterinary surgery who happened to have a number for a lady in the area who rescued hedgehogs & she came to collect it & looked after it until it was summer when she released it. Turns out that it was seriously underweight and had we not got in touch with her, it would have died. Instead it survived & even had 2 babies which we released with her.

Sure it might be only a wild animal but I think the fact that they didn't care enough to put us in contact with another service who could help speaks volumes. Another time I called them about a horse that was left tethered in a poor state right next to a road side & was obviously in distress. Again, they did nothing & wouldn't even agree to go out and check on the animal.

I just feel that for an 'animal charity' they don't seem to be very focused on helping the animals.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I am afraid that I have no time for them. I tried to obtain their help on three occasions:

l. A greyhound abandoned and found sheltering under a hedge in a remote lane. I caught it, fed it and rang the RSPCA........they were not in the least bit interested even though I explained that it was stick thin, flea ridden and distressed. I had to sort this one out myself and eventually the Greyhound Rescue people took him on the next day.

2. A neighbour's obnoxious son was setting snares for rabbits in the orchard which linked our two properties........one day there were two rabbits caught by their stomachs, very much alive and in agony, and also a badger caught by it's neck. I rang the neighbour, but they were all out so rang the RSPCA - they merely stated in a rather bored way that snares set on private land were no concern of theirs. What??? Perhaps that is the law, but I thought that their priority was supposed to be preventing cruelty.

3. Someone had tethered some ponies on a rough bit of land nearby - they had eaten all the grass within reach, were skin and bone, and the headcollars were far too tight and were rubbing their faces raw. The RSPCA did deign to turn up, eventually, but said that as the ponies had water they were not prepared to do anything at that time. Myself and others who were also concerned, explained that the water buckets were filled once a day, and that was the extent of the care, but to no avail.

The only time that I have seen them involved in anything useful was when a cat got stuck up a telegraph pole - and it was the fire brigade who got it down, not them. They merely put it in a cage when it was brought to ground, and took it inside to it's owner.

They have more money than virtually any other animal charity, but what the heck do they do with it?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »