View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I did that kennel club test and said I would walk it and wanted a big hairy dog and it came up with lots of short haired toys
Good luck with your decision... pointers are good, but not hairy!!! Setters are good but daft
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I did that kennel club test and said I would walk it and wanted a big hairy dog and it came up with lots of short haired toys
Good luck with your decision... pointers are good, but not hairy!!! Setters are good but daft
hehe im thinking it might not be a very good quiz yeah i like alot of the gundogs seeing as a fancy a bigger dog, but ive got plenty of time to get thinking and i think discover dogs is a great idea.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
it will be the year after, 2011 so i have plenty of time i do really want a boxer but i was talking to some different people that have owned or own them and have heard some horror stories i dont know if i would be prepared for some of the things i have heard lol, and maybe a laid back dog would be better
What kind of horror stories
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What kind of horror stories
one woman who had one (he passed away lst year ) ate threw her sofa!!! she has a picture of him with his head through one side and his body through the other and then a man who still has one now, and he did have a boy a few years back, it ate his house, like everything in the house, floor, furniture, skirting boards, walls...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:47 PM
well i have just done the quiz on the kennel club website to see what breed of dog i could own and it has come up with 33 results! on my list are:
  • australian cattledog
    basenji
    beagle
    border terrier

boston terrier
    bull terrier
    bull terrier (miniature)
  • bulldog
  • chihuahua (smooth coat)
  • chinese crested YeY!!!
  • daschund (mini smooth haired)
  • daschund (smooth haired)
  • english toy terrier
    fox terrier
  • french bulldog
  • german pinscher
  • italian greyhound
    japanese shiba inu
  • lancashire heeler
  • manchester terrier
  • all 3 mexican hairless
  • miniature pinscher
  • norwegian buhund
    parson russel terrier
  • pug
    shar pei
  • staffordshire bull terrier
  • swedish vallhund
  • both corgis
  • whippet

haha now where to start with that?
I don't understand how you have come to this list of breeds of dogs you "can have".

I'm assuming this is down to price, first and foremost, and not much else, if anything.

All of the dogs you have listed above have different training needs and different characters. Generally, some are more laid back than others, and some are much, much more demanding than others. They are all different.

I hope you'll research your breed very carefully taking in to consideration many things, such as; different types of training, exercise needs, stimulus needs, amount of feeding, health problems in the breeds, the associated healthy tests etc, all very important when considering a next breed....And many in your last vary is size, too, but I'm sure you realise that!

When you say horror stories about Boxers? What are the horror stories? Active, very lively, slow to mature, bouncy, slobbery? If it's any or all of these, then these are facts of breed and not horror stories.

Personally, I would say that the ones I've highlighted in bold are very demanding breeds in general. Some, if not all, are very stubborn and some are very vocal.

I know Basenjis are small dogs and look cute but, and this is a BIG but, they are not for the fainthearted. Believe me when I say this. They are very stubborn, difficult to train, full of attitude and cheek and are usually quite vocal. Yes, I love them and that's why I would love one in the future. Anyway, I digress.....

Then you have the terriers, and they don't come much more feisty than terriers! Which is why I love them as well. They really can't be compared like Chinese Cresteds or Chihuahuas.

I obviously don't really have any idea how experienced you are in dogs, but I do hope you choose your breed very wisely and consider all the necessaries of yourself and the breeds you are considering.

Good luck and I hope you find something suitable for your personal requirements and circumstances.

Anyway, just my opinion, whether or not it means anything.

And remember, a dog is for life.......
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I don't understand how you have come to this list of breeds of dogs you "can have".

I'm assuming this is down to price, first and foremost, and not much else, if anything.

All of the dogs you have listed above have different training needs and different characters. Generally, some are more laid back than others, and some are much, much more demanding than others. They are all different.

I hope you'll research your breed very carefully taking in to consideration many things, such as; different types of training, exercise needs, stimulus needs, amount of feeding, health problems in the breeds, the associated healthy tests etc, all very important when considering a next breed....And many in your last vary is size, too, but I'm sure you realise that!

When you say horror stories about Boxers? What are the horror stories? Active, very lively, slow to mature, bouncy, slobbery? If it's any or all of these, then these are facts of breed and not horror stories.

Personally, I would say that the ones I've highlighted in bold are very demanding breeds in general. Some, if not all, are very stubborn and some are very vocal.

I know Basenjis are small dogs and look cute but, and this is a BIG but, they are not for the fainthearted. Believe me when I say this. They are very stubborn, difficult to train, full of attitude and cheek and are usually quite vocal. Yes, I love them and that's why I would love one in the future. Anyway, I digress.....

Then you have the terriers, and they don't come much more feisty than terriers! Which is why I love them as well. They really can't be compared like Chinese Cresteds or Chihuahuas.

I obviously don't really have any idea how experienced you are in dogs, but I do hope you choose your breed very wisely and consider all the necessaries of yourself and the breeds you are considering.

Good luck and I hope you find something suitable for your personal requirements and circumstances.

Anyway, just my opinion, whether or not it means anything.

And remember, a dog is for life.......
no the quiz isnt a list of dogs i would own, i wouldnt own half of them on the list! it is a quiz on the kennel club website, and it asks you questions and narrows down the breeds as you go through it.

i heard of a boxer that ate through a whole sofa!!! i have heard alot of stories of how destructive they are, and dont know if i could cope with that.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:56 PM
in fact off the kennel club list i would only own 6. and half the dogs that i do really like (alot of the gundogs) arent even on it lol
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 09:07 PM
no the quiz isnt a list of dogs i would own, i wouldnt own half of them on the list! it is a quiz on the kennel club website, and it asks you questions and narrows down the breeds as you go through it.

i heard of a boxer that ate through a whole sofa!!! i have heard alot of stories of how destructive they are, and dont know if i could cope with that.
in fact off the kennel club list i would only own 6. and half the dogs that i do really like (alot of the gundogs) arent even on it lol
What does that tell you then.

Think I'll go and do it for a laugh, just to see what it comes up with.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
What does that tell you then.

Think I'll go and do it for a laugh, just to see what it comes up with.
yeah well i did it and realised after that it didnt make sense, seein as i said i could groom every day, and walk for more than 2 hours, but i didnt get any gundogs or high energy ones, and had no long hair dogs either
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i was gonna suggest a nice rescue and spend the rest of the money on lovely things for your dogs
but i guess if you wanna show then thats out
i was going to say the exact same thing!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >