View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 09:29 AM

At what age was your dog clean in the house?

As per the title I'm interested to see what ages your dog was fully house trained and could be left for a while with no accidents.

I ask because at 7 months old I feel like we've got toileting issues with Monty in the sense that he thinks it's ok to go in the house if we're not there. I may be wrong and be expecting too much of him and his bladder but I know he can hold as he does so through the night. He is left for 4 hours in the morning, I see him for an hour at lunch then he has 4 hours in the afternoon. He gets walked morning and evening and is fed twice a day.

It would be good if your responses included breed and circumstances in which your dog was left.

Thanks in advance!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Teagan is a Bullmastiff, and I got her at 12 weeks old. She was clean after 2 nights, and hasn't had accidents. (Apart from when she was locked in a room, and had a diaroeah bug!)

Fin (crossbreed) is nearly 5, and has only just stopped having accidents in the house!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2009, 09:54 AM
With my two they were more or less housetrained by around the 6 month mark but they did occasionally have accidents up until a year old. Finn also used to pee with excitement when people visited.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 09:59 AM
With Beau it was 5-6 months but would still pee in excitement when people visited.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Both boys were clean from around 6/7 months old generally. Both have been left whilst I was at work - generally all day.

However, they would wee on the floor if we were out and someone brought a delivery to the house etc. I think it was more excitement/nervousness than not being able to hold it in.

I would say we've not had an accident in the house (barring tummy problems/illness) for about a year now (and Murphy is nearly 2).
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Pepsi was trained in the first two weeks of having her, but every now and again she had an accident. All accidents stopped when she was just under 3months old.

When i used to work she was left a max of 5 hours by herself in the morning, i came home and took her for a walk then she was left again for 3 hours in the evening.

My friend also has a boxer and said he wasnt fully house trained until 6/7mths old. I wonder if this may be a boxer trait?
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Clover was about 6 months, but when she came into heat the first time, she decided it was okay to pee in the house again! So I guess she wasn't completely trained. She was okay next heat.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Good question this is something that I too have also been wondering about recently as I'm having problems with 2 of mine.

When I got Angel it was summer and he had been raised outside so we just used to leave the back door open and from day one he would go outside. He had the odd accident over night or if we were out too long but this stopped pretty quick within a few weeks. So prob by about 3 months.

I used a crate for Misty when we went out and over night because she was very destructive when left, she was trained in about 2 weeks and never had an accident in her crate.

Then came Dita she never bothered to tell you she needed to go out so if one of the other two didn't ask she'd just go where she was and at 7 months old was still toileting over night, I did try crateing her overnight in the end but that didn't help the first few nights she'd just toilet in the crate n roll in it! After a while she stopped toileting in the crate and after a couple of weeks when she had been dry every night we let her sleep out again but as soon as we did the messing started again instantly (it clearly wasn't because she couldn't hold it just chose not too) by 9mths we had managed to get her to sleep confined in the kitchen (instead of being given free roam) with no accidents. I then moved house when she was about 10mths which she didn't take well to she fretted a lot and started toileting indoors again, over the weeks she improved but since having the pup she has taken to having the occasional accident in the house if the pup does and shes now 19mths old!!

Fifi is 8 months and whilst now for the most part she is going outside, however overnight or if I'm out for more than an hour she is still going indoors and if crated she will just do it in the crate, so I've scrapped using a crate coz that just leads me to come down/in to one very soggy puppy, but its getting frustraiting especially when everyone keeps telling me she should be housetrained by now.

Suggestions welcome!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Colliexlab
11 weeks when we got her - 6 months now.
Trained on paper for the first few days, then outside.
had accidents for about a month. None since (except the excitement wee's she's just started sometimes when someone arrives)
At night - (not crated) weed & pooed on paper & in kitchen for 4 weeks - then stopped. Nothing since

maximum time left in day time - 3 hours so no accidents.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 10:58 AM
About 14 weeks old, and she still hasn't wee'd or poo'd in the house, except the once when we first got her at 10 weeks old, but I'm lucky, coz I was able to put her outside every half an hour without fail, every day, so don't beat yourself up if you couldn't have done that, it's not your fault, like I say, I was very lucky, didn't even mess in her crate from 9pm to 5.30 am. either which was a bonus!

The longest she's ever left at the moment is 2 hours and still nothing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >