Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Just out of interest, why is it worse that they were goldies and not Rotts or GSDs? It's just as bad IMO whatever the dog.
By that I meant, it's NOT ok to pull them about, but you would expect a rottie or a gsd to be misbehaving, that's what I meant by that statement, I couldn't UNDERSTAND that a goldie had actually misbehaved, coz to me (not had experience of them though) they just don't misbehave do they, they're soft as butter I would have thought! I will reitterate, it is NOT ok for ANY dog to get this treatment, I only meant I wouldn't have expected one to misbehave if you see what I mean!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 05:13 AM
That's a little bit rose tinted if you know what I mean. I know of at least two very antisocial goldies round here. Any dog can misbehave. Some just happen to be owned by people who can't handle them. Not that it excuses rough handling anyway. I'm sure many gundog breed owners on here would say that their dogs have been very hard work and naughty at times. Soft eyes and floppy ears count for nothing!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 05:25 AM
I hate yanking too.....but saw something else here which I thought beggered belief......

Kick up the bum for pooing
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I hate yanking too.....but saw something else here which I thought beggered belief......

Kick up the bum for pooing
Thats terrible, wonder how these people would feel if they got yanked around by their neck or kicked up their bum.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I see people doing this all the time. Makes me really uncomfortable.

Some people might have read the thread I made about 'disposable dogs' the other day. Well, for the past few days, I have seen the stupid woman that lives at the top of my road yanking her poor Weimeraner puppy for pulling on the lead. For those that didn't see the thread, this woman has already gone through two other puppies in less than a year.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 03:11 PM
no need for people yanking their dogs generally....!

i had to give nick a sharp tug the other day as he's going deaf and i had to get him away from a sitatuion quickly.... didnt hurt him at all and made him 'listen'...

just generally walking tugging/yanking....not acceptable..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
That's a little bit rose tinted if you know what I mean. I know of at least two very antisocial goldies round here. Any dog can misbehave. Some just happen to be owned by people who can't handle them. Not that it excuses rough handling anyway. I'm sure many gundog breed owners on here would say that their dogs have been very hard work and naughty at times. Soft eyes and floppy ears count for nothing!
What I meant was, (I seem to have become dyslexic in this thread!!! Lol!) It was the sheer SHOCK element as well as the utter disgust of course, because it was a goldie, whereas although I would still have had the disgust & anger element whilst driving past, I wouldn't have been as shocked as I was by seeing that it was a goldie rather than a gsd or a rottie, that's what I meant, so I'm not breedist. Well I know what I mean anyways!!! ..... taxi!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
What I meant was, (I seem to have become dyslexic in this thread!!! Lol!) It was the sheer SHOCK element as well as the utter disgust of course, because it was a goldie, whereas although I would still have had the disgust & anger element whilst driving past, I wouldn't have been as shocked as I was by seeing that it was a goldie rather than a gsd or a rottie, that's what I meant, so I'm not breedist. Well I know what I mean anyways!!! ..... taxi!!!!
It would of shocked me whatever breed too Helena and whatever the breed was I would of posted but I know what you mean.

The other dog was not a Goldie or a Rottie or a GSD he looked like a large cross breed and that made me just as angry.

I think the problem for me with regards to the Goldie was it was a Guide dog and they are trained so well and I feel really do not deserve to be treated in this way. It made it seem even worse. Even if that sounds wrong. So I apologise if it offends.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The one on Monday Guide dog was a Goldie too and it did seem worse and also that they are trained so well surely it could be forgiven a little sniff. The woman looked so angry with it and the poor dog looked quite confused.
They cannot be "forgiven a little sniff". If they decide to do so at an inopertune moment they could put their owners life in danger, or at the very least leave the owner feeling lost if put off course. I believe in this case a sharp tug to the lead and a firm "no" would remind the dog to keep it's mind on it's work.

With my own dogs I do sometimes give them a sharp tug on the lead when they do something inappropriate, like lunging at a passing motorbike for example. I see no issue with it tbh. Or were the people you saw doing worse than a sharp tug?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
They cannot be "forgiven a little sniff". If they decide to do so at an inopertune moment they could put their owners life in danger, or at the very least leave the owner feeling lost if put off course. I believe in this case a sharp tug to the lead and a firm "no" would remind the dog to keep it's mind on it's work.

With my own dogs I do sometimes give them a sharp tug on the lead when they do something inappropriate, like lunging at a passing motorbike for example. I see no issue with it tbh. Or were the people you saw doing worse than a sharp tug?
It wasn't a sharp tug it was yanking and yelling at the poor dog imo that is not acceptable I don't usually get involved in things but I was prepared to get out and have a word with her if she hadn't stopped and when I use that roundabout which I do frequently I shall be looking out for her and if necessary I shall come home and look into seeing what I can do about it if I see it happening again.

Having got an Uncle who is blind I am all too aware of the danger they can be in but that was uneccessary she was not near a road or trying to cross a road, she was walking her dog along a quiet path with big grassy verges.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >