Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2012, 05:17 PM

I need a scarier looking dog...

... that way when I tell people my dog isn't good with other dogs they might make an attempt to call theirs back.
(This is a joke by the by - well at least half ).

I've made great progress with Riley, if we see another dog I don't panic but just turn around and walk in the opposite direction. He's been really good this weekend and when we do this he ignores the dog normally following as his bum and is giving me his attention - just the fact I can get his attention outside is massive progress for us.

However, the dog at his bum today was an ar*e and started growling and snapping at him.
Then the owner shouted at me for walking away and not standing still and letting them 'sort' it out.

Scares me so much when I'm out with Riley by myself.

Really wish it was a legal requirement for any dog off the lead to have perfect recall.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 05:39 PM
When I tell folk mine isnt good with other dogs they generally dont believe me. I assume if he was lunging and growling they might believe me but because he mostly ignores other dogs and doesnt 'kick off' until another dog has invaded his space they think i'm making it up.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately unless you have a breed that is either very large or has sharp features (ie large snout, pointed ears etc) then I think some people will never understand what you mean until the day arrives when you give a warning and your dog has to prove you right. Of course nobody wants this to happen.

Have you considered maybe getting a vest in a hi-vis colour which states something along the lines of "DO NOT APPROACH", "UNFRIENDLY WITH DOGS" or "DOG IN TRAINING - DO NOT APPROACH" etc.? Of course I don't really see why you personally should run tot he expense of something to the advantage of other dogs; and yes I do realise that dogs don't/can't read. But their owners do! Well most of them I would assume.

I don't really have an advice for you as owning GSDs I don't have this problem - in fact out of the 3 of them, the one that people AND other dogs will stay away from is Jenzi and she's the smallest of the lot (small collie size).

The only thing I can offer in terms of advice is that I think you've done a fantastic job so far and to keep it up. The more Riley is able to ignore another dog and remain focussed on you, the more progress is made, and if there is a dog he does happen to like, maybe in time, he could learn to be more sociable and eventually have play mates. Of course this would be some way down the road but you must be doing something right.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 06:56 PM
What gets me is I have one friendly girl and one very unfriendly boy but everyone goes to try and pet Duncan ignoring my friendly Mollie. Dogs too approach Duncan not our friendly girl
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I have the opposite problem, my boy is friendly, and wants to play, but so many hurry away when they see him
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2012, 08:17 PM
my friend has a dane and she isnt good with other dogs after being attacked so many times she shouts over the the owners that her dogs isnt good with others and this still doesnt stop there dog from going over, even when she took her out wearing a muzzle and was on a lead the other dogs owners still ignored her.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2012, 11:03 PM
I have the softest dogs in the world (two Greyhounds) really they are scared of their own shadow!
But when people see them they grab their dogs and pick them up or change direction.
I assume it's because people either associate them with hunting/killing or just because of the size of them.

They are very good with other dogs by the way, always on lead though due to the lack of a quality recall.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
When I tell folk mine isnt good with other dogs they generally dont believe me. I assume if he was lunging and growling they might believe me but because he mostly ignores other dogs and doesnt 'kick off' until another dog has invaded his space they think i'm making it up.
This is similar to the problem we have, Riley just looks like a big friendly baby with his ears up and tongue hanging out.

Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post

Have you considered maybe getting a vest in a hi-vis colour which states something along the lines of "DO NOT APPROACH", "UNFRIENDLY WITH DOGS" or "DOG IN TRAINING - DO NOT APPROACH" etc.? Of course I don't really see why you personally should run tot he expense of something to the advantage of other dogs; and yes I do realise that dogs don't/can't read. But their owners do! Well most of them I would assume.

The only thing I can offer in terms of advice is that I think you've done a fantastic job so far and to keep it up. The more Riley is able to ignore another dog and remain focussed on you, the more progress is made, and if there is a dog he does happen to like, maybe in time, he could learn to be more sociable and eventually have play mates. Of course this would be some way down the road but you must be doing something right.
I may consider the hi-vis vest, I'm not sure how much use it will be as 9 out of 10 tens the owners can't call their dogs back - and I do give fair warning/try and make me desire for our dogs not to meet very clear!!
Anything is worth a try though!

I do give him a bad rep, he's not really DA just an entire boy whose not well socialized so when dogs come over he doesn't immediately show aggression but it will generally end in a growl or a snap (although he never snaps I must admit). I just prefer to air on the side of caution and not let him meet any dogs out and about.
When he's met family dogs and we've taken them on walks together and let them meet afterwards it's always gone well and he does have a few doggy friends
We start agility with the trainer who massively helped us turn our problems around in a couple of weeks - so potentially in a controlled environment he may have opportunity to make some friends there.

Originally Posted by Rottie boy. View Post
I have the opposite problem, my boy is friendly, and wants to play, but so many hurry away when they see him
Don't complain about this!!! Believe me it's better than having a snapping terrier at your dogs bum every time you go out!

Originally Posted by Duck View Post
my friend has a dane and she isnt good with other dogs after being attacked so many times she shouts over the the owners that her dogs isnt good with others and this still doesnt stop there dog from going over, even when she took her out wearing a muzzle and was on a lead the other dogs owners still ignored her.
Such a nightmare, I'm constantly ignored when I say that - I honestly wish there was something which could make these people have some respect for other dog owners!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I just shout I'll kick your dog if you don't get it back. I have done as well. Owner soon comes running and when they shout I just say their dog was out of control and was attacking me and I was protecting myself and I will be reporting the incedent.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I will never understand why so many people let their dogs runover to dogs they have never met before & think it is OK. Why do they have LEADS???

The amount of owners who tell me to let Toffee off lead as their dog can take care of themselves, & I have to tell them it took a long while to train him not to be rough & know he would soon slip into bad ways again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >