View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 07:29 AM
We don`t know what happened - that`s why all this discussion is academic. Echoes of the Dingo Baby case?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 07:30 AM
It's not that I don't believe it......but after giving lots of reports to newspapers recently, i've noticed they like to change what you say, add bits in you didn't say, and take out important bits you wanted in!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Interesting article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...e-experts.html
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:07 AM
When I first heard the story I found it hard to believe.

However, I know how brave urban foxes can be as I used to regularly feed some on Blackheath Common when I lived in London. They were not quite as tame as dogs, and would bolt if you got too close, but were quite happy to take food thrown out just 100 yards from me.

I love foxes and hate the thought of more perishing at the hands of man. However, I am also a parent of a toddler and can only imagine the anguish the parents are going through.

Personally I just hope that the story doesn't cause mass hysteria in urban areas, as this is a very, very unusual case.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
When I first heard the story I found it hard to believe.

However, I know how brave urban foxes can be as I used to regularly feed some on Blackheath Common when I lived in London. They were not quite as tame as dogs, and would bolt if you got too close, but were quite happy to take food thrown out just 100 yards from me.

I love foxes and hate the thought of more perishing at the hands of man. However, I am also a parent of a toddler and can only imagine the anguish the parents are going through.

Personally I just hope that the story doesn't cause mass hysteria in urban areas, as this is a very, very unusual case.
whilst i really feel for all invoved.... i hope so too.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Too late. There is currently a phone-in on Radio 5 on how to protect your children from foxes. The dozy bird running it has just asked a farmer -`How can we get rid of these things?` It`ll be open season on wildlife from now on.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Interesting article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...e-experts.html
So first they say that it couldn't have happened and then they say that if it did it had to have been a cub!

Doesn't change the injuries to the babies though.

rune
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
We don`t know what happened - that`s why all this discussion is academic. Echoes of the Dingo Baby case?
This was the first thing that went through my mind, as I said in post 54.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
The fact is these WILD creatures have had their death warrants signed and sealed all because as our towns and cities grew taking up their wild habitat. instead of discouraging them to take up new natural ground IDIOTS (humans) enticed them with tit bits thus encouraging them to stay in an unnatural environment making them more human savvy, and its the idiots who carry on doing this that has actually contributed to what is happening now. well i hope their proud of themselves.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
From Wiki.

"The Chamberlains' claim that a dingo had taken Azaria was originally greeted with skepticism by many. Several factors led to this, including a lack of knowledge about dingoes and their behaviour, and the fact that these animals generally live in remote areas and are therefore rarely seen by most Australians. Combined with the historical human partiality for domesticated dogs, dingoes were not perceived as a dangerous species.

However, since the Chamberlain case, proven cases of attacks on humans by dingoes have brought about a dramatic change in public opinion. It is now widely accepted that, as the first inquest concluded, Azaria probably was killed by a dingo, and that her body could easily have been removed and eaten by a dingo, leaving little or no trace.

Crucial to the change in public opinion was a string of attacks by dingoes on Fraser Island off the Queensland coast, the last refuge in Australia for isolated pure-breed wild dingoes. In the wake of these attacks, most of which occurred in the late 1990s, it emerged that there had been at least 400 documented dingo attacks on Fraser Island alone. Most were against children, but at least two were on adults.[23]

Notably, in April 1998, in a scenario strikingly similar to the story told by Lindy Chamberlain, a 13-month old girl was grabbed by a dingo and dragged from a picnic blanket at the Waddy Point camping area. In this case, the child was dropped when her father intervened."

rune
Page 8 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »