Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Max Terrified Of Me

I absolutely hate it when he gets like this tonight I had to apply his advocate, which he absolutely hates! He goes crazy when I go to apply it, jumps around the room and spins around in circles. I had to get my OH to hold onto him for me tonight and what should have been a two second job turned into a ten minute struggle!

I've had him vet checked to see if there would be any reason for him reacting this way, nothing noticably wrong with him so it must just be that he hates the feel/smell of it.

Every time it's applied he won't come near me for at least two days afterwards, once it lasted a week now he keeps running to the back door when I get up from my chair and won't let me touch him I just feel so awful!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Sending you some hugs.......it`s horrid when this happens. It`s like taking your toddlers for an injection......Buy him a giant tennis ball and see what he does.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:16 PM
oh hun what is it you are applying? (sorry dont know what advocate is...)

i dont suppose there is ANY way you could make it pleasurable...
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
oh hun what is it you are applying? (sorry dont know what advocate is...)

i dont suppose there is ANY way you could make it pleasurable...
It's a form of flea treatment and wormer in one, made by the same manufacturer as the Drontal wormers, the only thing it doesn't treat is tapeworm which I tablet him for every 6 months. Ever since he had lungworm I won't use anything else on him as he was so poorly.

I've tried all sorts with him, feeding him treats whilst it's being applied, distracting him with his favourite toy etc etc, he always reacts the same
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Sending you some hugs.......it`s horrid when this happens. It`s like taking your toddlers for an injection......Buy him a giant tennis ball and see what he does.
My plan is to go out and buy him the biggest treat tomorrow pushover mummy!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Aw bless him.. It must be awful for you... I remember when I used to worm my horse, she wouldnt come near me for days...was really hard. I think he would love a treat...your not a pushover, you just care... Hope you can win him over hun... xxxx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Hate to say this but may be telling him to sit down shut up and behave may work better. You are not hurting him so there is no excuse for his behaviour, he does not want it done and is doing his best to stop you doing it & he is very nearly succeeding.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by flowisp View Post
Aw bless him.. It must be awful for you... I remember when I used to worm my horse, she wouldnt come near me for days...was really hard. I think he would love a treat...your not a pushover, you just care... Hope you can win him over hun... xxxx
I know he'll be fine in a couple of days but I just feel like such a horrible mum at the moment even though I know it's for his own good.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Hate to say this but may be telling him to sit down shut up and behave may work better. You are not hurting him so there is no excuse for his behaviour, he does not want it done and is doing his best to stop you doing it & he is very nearly succeeding.
Tried this too several times, nothing seems to work with him unfortunately
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I've got one a bit like this but blowed if it makes me feel mean, daft mut will have to learn to put up with it, I know it is for his own good, he can think what he likes. Mine does not sulk for long I'm the one in charge of the food cupboard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >