Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 02:39 PM

nhs dentists - terrified

am absolutely terrified of dentists and my teeth are in a dreadful state. want to go and get them taken out as keeping getting toothache and know that i need to face up to my phobia (know that this was inbreed in me as a child)

last time i had dental work done i was sedated at the surgery and it was about 17 yrs ago. (nearly the same length of time i hadnt been for a smear test till i met o/h). now feel strong enough mentally and know that i would be looked after by o/h afterwards.

advice on where to go to and ask for help etc would be good cos i have looked on line for nhs dentist in our area but none are taking on patients. also dont think i would have to pay for work doing as on benefit but would appreciate advice on thsi too.

thanks

sue
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I too had a major phobia with dentists.They had to knock me out before they could get near my mouth.However I have found a great lass who is fantastic with me,I'm still a bit apprehensive but she soon has me at ease.
You should really get seen to as there are a lot more nasties in dentistry than rotten teeth such as mouth cancer etc.
My advice would be shop around until you are happy, although in many areas dentists are short.Wish you luck.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I can honestly say I know how you feel it has been 20 years since I last visited the Dentist,I am also phobic.

Well during the early part of this year I had two abcess' that were really painful and knew I had to confront my fear,I did that the first dentist I saw was awful,run by a group of morons quite frankly,so I never went back,
After another week of searching and slightly out of our area,I found another he was lovely,very gentle explained everything,he has referred me to the hospital to have my work done under sedation.

Keep searching for dentists in and slightly out of your area,I know how difficult it is,if you have no joy go see your GP and explain the situation,they may be able to help.

Good luck xx
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2007, 04:02 PM
it's perhaps easy for me to say, but i don't dread dentists at all. if you can find one to treat you, relax. today, with modern dental care, there's no reason why you have to suffer pain, in or out of the dentists chair. why wait until you're in agony, go get them seen-to. then smile.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
it's perhaps easy for me to say, but i don't dread dentists at all. if you can find one to treat you, relax. today, with modern dental care, there's no reason why you have to suffer pain, in or out of the dentists chair. why wait until you're in agony, go get them seen-to. then smile.
It's not that simple though for dental phobics,many of us that suffer even find making the appointment,challenging,let alone keeping it.
I suffer with Panic attacks,the shaking,sickness,sweats the whole works.
It's not just "nobody likes the dentist",it's more than that for us phobics.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Have a word with your doc and see if he could give you something to relax you before you go.Another idea is try visiting the dentist,explain your circumstances also stating you don't want him/her to do much and it's to get you used to being there.You would be surprised how happy some are to help.To me anything is worth a try at least once.
I remember on one occasion he was standing over me with this huge needle heh! heh! I said to him "dont know where your going with that but you aint coming near me with it".It Isn't a fear of needles in general,It's the fact of injections in the mouth etc.I ended up being KO'D to have the work done and it was so much better.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
thanks for all your advice. i am going to ring a local nhs dentist that is in the same health centre as my gps and have a chat. have got to do this. will also go and have a chat with my gp and i am going to ring nhs direct to see if they can point me in the right direction.

you will probably hear the screams and knees knocking from here. have not even told o/h about what i want to do as i am scared to say it cos then i will have to go through with it. might do it the chicken way and just show him this thread.
sue
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
thanks for all your advice. i am going to ring a local nhs dentist that is in the same health centre as my gps and have a chat. have got to do this. will also go and have a chat with my gp and i am going to ring nhs direct to see if they can point me in the right direction.

you will probably hear the screams and knees knocking from here. have not even told o/h about what i want to do as i am scared to say it cos then i will have to go through with it. might do it the chicken way and just show him this thread.
sue
hope they don't visit dogsey, they'll see this and take the next 2 weeks off.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
You go for it,I promise once its all done you will feel great about yourself and have loads more confidence than you can handle.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Good luck in your search and in getting the treatment you need.Well done for taking the first step.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >