Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
To be honest I wish dog ownership required a (revocable) license in which the recipient had to first undertake a paid course to educate them. Charging a decent amount for the license would also sort the wheat from the chaff.

Not really, it would just sort people who have plenty of money from those who don't. Remember that not everyone who is a decent, knowledgeable pet owner will have a lot of disposable income.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 05:24 PM
SO frustrating. People keep asking me if I'm going to let Ranger be a stud. I don't think so!!! There are enough super pedigree GSD's out there to breed from, never mind one with dodgy papers. Even if he does have fantastic temperament and is a great looking dog. But sadly, for many people that's a good enough reason
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 07:47 PM
you just want to wallop them on the head with a blunt object to be honest.

See it all the time, pick up dogs that have been bred and bred and bred and then discarded cos they have health issues and are costing them money etc,

People just don't care, if they could be reported and fined through benefits, also be subject to income tax on breeding, etc it would be better,

In Scotland there is an actual law which requires licensing for breeding and selling YOUNG animals and I wish this could be utilised to punish all the people who sell on gumtree etc..

I just hate this so much, especially as they will either end up in rescue if they are lucky or dead if they aren't. Not to mention the ones already in rescue PTS because no one wants them anyway
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I know what you mean about the blunt object. When we first got Guinness someone I know who I'd have expected would know better asked if they could use him as a stud dog. Their bitch isn't even a greyhound! (Although even if she was, there are more than enough greyhounds being bred to race and needing homes afterwards to consider breeding them in a pet home).

I've never bred dogs and doubt I ever will, but surely putting a large breed male to a smaller breed female is asking for problems with the birth?

I encouraged this person to have their bitch spayed, but I know it's still not been done yet. I'm dreading them coming to me at some point in the future because they can't sell pups... I'd want to nail them to the wall.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2