View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
silverbeetle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Nail clipping - catching the quick, how to stop bleeding?

After six months of patiently coaxing and trying to cut my westie pup's nails I have finally been able to start clipping them (the groomer and vet said he would need to be sedated to do this).

I am doing a little very slowly as I am new to this and all seemed to be going well until I caught the quick - he has very dark nails and it is difficult to see, the groomer had told me the quick was very near the end so I was only taking a tiny bit off each nail. There was so much blood and it was so difficult to get it to stop. I had some cotton bud things filled with styptic type stuff from Pets at Home but these did not work.

When the groomer caught them she used some powder which stopped the bleeding immediately - does anyone know the name of this powder or can recommend something to stop the bleeding?

I would be really grateful for any advice as I need to be able to do them myself as I do not want to have Freddie sedated to clip his nails. I am now nervous about catching the quick again.

Many thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi Janette cut nails do bleed a lot it can be quite scary and if nails are left to grow long the quick grows further down the nail. Very little will stop the bleeding, it should eventually stop on its own. A very old remedy used to be to stick the nail in a bar of soap which blocks the nail . As with any bleeding applying pressure helps, holding a piece of cotton wool (moist to stop it sticking)tightly against cut edge of the nail for as long as possible.

It is difficult with black nails, I cut a fraction at a time making sure when I apply the clipper blade that the bit I am cutting is 'hollow' .

I think you might be better filing the nails, some people use a dremel file but they do make a noise. Once the nails have been cut you can also use human emery boards regularly to keep them short and of course regular walking on a hard surface helps.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
My Boss at the grooming parlour use to use this
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo....590&Variation=

This is possibly the sort of thing you are looking for...
http://www.cheappetproducts.net/SAFA...-UKP64483.html
Meg
Supervisor

03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
My Boss at the grooming parlour use to use this
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=POT9008590&Variation=

This is possibly the sort of thing you are looking for...
http://www.cheappetproducts.net/SAFARI_STYPTIC_POWDER_1_2_OZ__BOTTLE__CARDED_-UKP64483.html
I would be very careful if using permanganate (Condy's crystals) we used to use it years ago . Not only does it stain everything but it can be harmfully if swallowed.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
flour or bicarb works well plus the same stuff they use for shaving cuts, stypic pencil i think it is called.
I cut every 2 weeks a very little and then i file a little, not all dogs need nails cutting my lurcher only has her dew claws done where as my border needs all doing.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Mine get done on the monthly basis.
Meg
Supervisor

03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Mine get done on the monthly basis.
I actually sit watching TV with Chloe next to me and an emery board in my hand, Chloe is sometimes asleep and doesn't always notice I am doing anything .
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Pedi paws is really good for small dogs. It does not make as much noise as a dremel and it is nigh on impossible to make the nail bleed, you would have to be very heavy handed.
And not expensive, you can get them on Ebay and Amazon

I use permanganate sometimes but would not recommend it for everyone.

Little tip, lemon juice removes any accidental staining.
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
i never cut my dogs nails, i guess all the pavement walking we do helps lol
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by silverbeetle View Post

When the groomer caught them she used some powder which stopped the bleeding immediately -
I would be a wee bit worried that an experienced dog groomer was frequently catching the quick.