Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 11:22 PM

"Safe" dog chews?

Alfie loves his rolled up rawhide chews, as it takes a while for him to get through them, but just read something about rawhide being dangerous so won't be using them again

Was just wondering what a good SAFE chew was and where to get them?

For small and large dogs?

Thanks!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Nothing in life is risk free.

I won't touch rawhides a) because I think they pose too high a risk of choking but b) because there is no way to check out their provenance or what they have been treated with.

Mine get raw recreational bones, meaty bones to eat and Nylabones to chew on in their absence.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:08 AM
When I was recently researching on this, I came across a lot of sites where vets agreed that pizzle sticks are safe because they are easily digested, they are 100% natural, and unlike rawhide, they don't swell up in the dog's stomach. They all said you should take it away when it got too small though because of the risk of choking. I get the really thick, long ones for my dogs, and so far, they haven't been a problem and are long lasting.

Another safe long lasting chew of course are the deer antlers. I find mine take a lot of interest initially, then they get left, then a week later, they'll be dragged out again, and they haven't made much impression on them although they do get a good bashing when they are being chewed and have lasted me months now.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Hooves are good too, they last ages and are very cheap, and even our big dogs hardly make a dent in them so they are good if you don't want your dog eating extra but want them to have a chew.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Raw chicken wings.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Hooves are good too, they last ages and are very cheap, and even our big dogs hardly make a dent in them so they are good if you don't want your dog eating extra but want them to have a chew.
Thanks for that tip, as I recently got some cow hooves from Zooplus but wondered how safe they are and how quickly they could be gone, so handy to know they're so hard and long lasting, I might give them one now then so I can get on with my housework