View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Lots of rules, regulations and paperwork as well, can get quite scientific as well from what I've heard listening to local farmers who are not the mosh high-tech but still seems a lot of thought needs to go in to manage the land ect.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
My grandparents on my mother's side were farmers in Southern Ireland, so I think farming is in my blood - (the countryside and animals certainly are).

My interest in training sheepdogs led me to meet my husband, who is Farm Manager/Head Shepherd on a large hill farm in Scotland. Obviously he is employed by the landowner and so doesn't own the farm himself (unfortunately). However, his father was a farmer and he is now retiring and selling off part of his farm - land and a large barn with planning permission - to enable us to buy somewhere of our own.

However, and this is a big however, land is incredibly expensive and land with buildings is extortionately expensive. We could have converted my FIL's barn ourselves and farmed down there, but it is in Saddleworth, and neither of us really wants to move back below the border. So, the most feasible option for us is to continue working as we are (there is a lot of be said for a wage coming in every month), and buy a small hill farm or smallholding and so at least we have somewhere to retire to (eventually) and somewhere to keep FIL's pedigree Swaledale and Suffolk flocks that he can't bear to part with.

To start a farm from scratch you would need an awful lot of money and the realisation that you would not make an awful lot. The job is 365 days a year - my hubby never takes a day's holiday - it is a lifestyle, not a job.

Obviously farming (and all the current legislation and paperwork now required) requires knowledge and experience. To keep livestock you need knowledge and experience.

It is definitely not an easy way to make a living, but I don't know any farmer who would have chosen a different career path had they had the option.
Thanks for that Moobli - what are your sheep for? Wool or meat?

The countryside and animals are definitely in my blood too - so I have that
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Definately a lot of knowledge, time, money, land and paitence. It definatley it the kind of job where you work 365 days a week! With arable you need enough land, and if you have a bad crop it can criple you, very much weather dependant, plus all costs for fertiliser, spraying, harrowing, muck spreading your land... equally if you have animals, it can be costly to feed and look after them; things like jabs and disease can be very costly to a farmer. You also need enough land to support the animals, to rotate throughout the year to keep fields in reasonable condition. Maintaining fencing- seen the damage cows, sheep, pigs and horses can do if they think the grass is greener on the other side!

If your rearing animals for meat you need to know about correct feeding and weight of your animals, as if they are not right weight you may not get the full amount of money and can end up making a loss.

Then there is machinery- quads, tractors, loaders, trailers, booms etc for transport/lifting/stacking/unloading and storage and maintenance for the farm machinery..I could probably go on and on!

Getting the right location I think is another key factor.

Can you tell I went out with an Ag boy and worked on his farm
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thanks for that Moobli - what are your sheep for? Wool or meat?

The countryside and animals are definitely in my blood too - so I have that
Meat. Wool is totally worthless now unfortunately
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 07:04 PM
What do you need to be a farmer, pig headedness, independence, ability to live on nothing and to work 365 days a year with no breaks, and to be a jack of all traids and thats just the good bits

I married a dary farmer and really didnt know what went on when it came to farming even though I was born in the country. We only have a small farm 58 hecters (116 acers I think) and we have about 80 head of cattle, a few sheep, a couple of pigs, geese and chickens but the cows are our main bussiness and it is really techinical as to feeding and milk output, breeding which bull with which cow, what crops to grow for maximum yeald it just goes on and on

I think a small holding for someone that has never been in farming would be a better idea.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Meat. Wool is totally worthless now unfortunately
I did hear that it may be comming back in price, as it may be used for loft insulation, or is that all nonsence?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I did hear that it may be comming back in price, as it may be used for loft insulation, or is that all nonsence?
No I have heard this too recently. Would be good if the wool does have another use.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes there was a progamme on this the other day.

To be a farmer nowadays? With all the rules, regulations, paperwork, huge number of bodies/authorities that you need to keep happy, veterinary procedures, movement of animal restrictions, the list is endless, I am not sure that anyone who is currently a farmer would CHOOSE to be one nowadays....................
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I think it was countryfile was the one who was talking about wool for loft insulation?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
They have been on about this for years but unfortunately nothing seems to have come of it. Time will tell I suppose.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >