View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:02 PM

How often and how to do you handle your little pets?

Just be nost really I was wondering this the other day, with my chinchillas I put my hand into the cage and they climb over me, and then I let them run around, but they have to approach me before they can run around, so that I am a good thing more then anything, I bring nice things like treats and play time outside, I also have taught them to put themselves in a carrier, although with thier inqusitive nature this is quite easy but I put treats in the box and hold it up to the cage, and both run in, and as even for ops etc you have to keep feeding them (like rabbits) I can always leave treats in there if they have to go to the vets too.

The rabbits though I take them to either my bed where I will lay down or read and they get to choose to either be with me and getting attention or a bit away from me investigating or looking our of the window or we sit on the couch, then they either sit near me, on me, either lap or head, or above me on the back of the couch, but I find that them being able to choose where they want to be builds up their confidence, as they are not being forced to, but I still bring good things like treats, I've also taught these to go into their box too, so its all good if they need too

So how do you handle your pets? And how often do you do it? Mind are handled like this daily, and start to look forward to it
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Well I go and sit in the rabbit shed twice a day when feeding (sometimes more) then whoever wants some nose rubs comes for them. I handle my new guinea pigs loads of times as they are quite tame so I can't resist little tickles as they live in my bedroom. My other 4 pigs I handle getting in and out of the run but they are quite timid and not keen so it's still softly softly with them.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Mine all get checked over and handled daily. Pregnant mums come into the house and stay by the side of my pc until they're 6 weeks old to get used to house noises and I handle them a lot more to get them calm
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Handle the rats everyday and they also get out for playtime. Rose I must admit sits with me a lot while I'm on the computer as she's quite happy to sit on my shoulder or inside my top
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:24 PM
my rats get handled almost every day
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:44 PM
The rabbits get handled everyday as they get put out into their run and then back into their hutch usually once a day, (unless the weather is terrible) so they do have cuddles at this time and at feeding time they sometimes come for a fuss depending on their mood at the time I suppose! Sometimes not!

The rats are different. I got them when they were about 6 months old and I have had them a few months now but they are still a work in progress. I know they were hardly ever handled in the time before I had them so i'm not sure how much is reversible, I think they are likely to always be timid so I try not to push them too far although they are still improving slowly, bit by bit. They will take food from my hand now and come up for a sniff and let you touch them without legging it most of the time. The bolder of the two will let you take him out of the cage more often than the other, just depends on their mood I suppose, sometimes they just don't want to come out and they really do freak out if you try and take them out of my son's bedroom (where their cage is). But they do get stroked everyday.

The hamster is less often as he is a grumpy little swine and a bu$$er to catch in his giant mansion of a cage he has, but certainly everytime he is cleaned out he is handled and he is fine once he is out, he has never bitten but he has tried to nip when you try and get him out or stroke him while he is in his cage, he's really not keen on being caught but then once he is out he seems to give in lol.