Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 07:18 AM

Ask Why Say No campaign

Thought this might be of interest to those of you fed up with bullying TV dog trainers who have set the world of dog training back 20 years!
Becky
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I found the article very interesting. The only problem I have( and this is my personal opinon) is that caring sharing dog owners like the members of this forum, would heartily agree with the article. However the majority of numpties who own dogs out there believe what is seen on tv, almost to the point that it is gospel. They are never going to agree with the article. Until they can be convinced to stop watching the bullies, tv channels are still going to make and show those kinds of programmes.
I know people who care for children and have specific views on kindly child rearing, but believe that the whisperer is an absolute God in terms of dog training and use those methods on their dogs.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2009, 07:45 AM
what n'the hell is the point of the petition?

all i can see is the only point of the petition is to say you signed it???
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 09:28 AM
It`s a good start. I expect the petition is to get an idea of how many support the article.
I agree with most of it - I don`t think the NILIF method should be there because that is a positive one, though.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh the abuse of the word ''whisperer''! As I understand it, the term first became popular with the horse whisperer who was using innovative gentle methods. Then some idiot steals the term for his return to harsh methods.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by BigBearsRule View Post
I know people who care for children and have specific views on kindly child rearing, but believe that the whisperer is an absolute God in terms of dog training and use those methods on their dogs.
If one looked at the history of the western world over the past 60 years (and specifically at the UK and US) one might be forgiven for assuming that child-centred, "non-cruel" methods of childrearing have been a huge disaster, leaving us with at least two generations of people who have little respect for anyone or anything. Just a thought!

Mick
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Mick - I agree and think you are right for the most part. But not everyone is the same.

I am 35 now and was brought up with non-cruel methods by my parents. I am well balalnced, work hard, am honest, never did anything illegal (other than exceeding a statutory speed limit) and I was traised with respect, integrity and discipline.

I am using the same methods with my SOn who although at 4 years old can have his moments of being horrible with some of his behaviour, he is a well rounded, very caring and loving little boy who wants everyone to like everyone else and cannot see the point of arguments or being unpleasant &/or disrespectful.

Just as with other kids, dogs, horses or any other animal (whether human or not) - positive reinforcement and non-cruel methods DO work as we've all seen for ourselves. Of course there are those who don't care and will never strive to improve anything but that's the society we live in.

Just because someone isn't already in their 50's or may be considered to be of one of the younger generations doesn't mean they are disrespectful or don't give a damn.

Laura xx
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post

Just because someone isn't already in their 50's or may be considered to be of one of the younger generations doesn't mean they are disrespectful or don't give a damn.

Laura xx
Of course you are right and not everyone should be stereotyped (nor should all "old-school" dog trainers - there is a world of difference between Cesar Milan and Barbara Woodhouse). I am a little jaundiced because I have spent the past 35 years as a youth worker, working in the main with kids who have never had any discipline in the home, have never had anyone say "No" to them, and, as a result think that they should be able to have whatever they want without working for it. There are a lot of wonderful young people out there (including our own children), but by and large, they are children whose parents have set boundaries and have taught them that actions have consequence (both bad and good) and that the things you appreciate most are those you have worked for. Same with dogs I believe!

Mick
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I would agree with some of it, but I do find that NILIF is a useful tool. I do this with my dog occassionally to remind them about self control and remind me to get some trianing done with them!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I think that is the point. NILIF is a tool rather than a complete training method. I agree it is useful but my dogs get lots of 'freebies'
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >