View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Talking of learning...I'm not imagining it...I went in to see how she was and checked her out minutes ago and when I talk she open and closes her beak in time to whatis said...if I stop, she stops! Is it learned or a natural reponse? Who knows. In time like a parrot/minah bird would she/could she learn to copy words and speak? I'm not sure that Doves can make many noises anyhow. I'm not sure that I have heard any sing, the only time I usually hear anything out of them is when they are alarmed and/or chasing off another dove and flying at speed.

Gildy
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I can't throw any light on that Gildy, I really have no clue, must be a sight to see though

(BTW, I'll have a pint of whatever you're on!! )
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 12:06 PM
in birds that is often a stress response or an indication of needing fluids.
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Most pigeons carry frounce which is fatal to raptors, so if you allow them to eat a few more of your pigeons you will get your wish......dead raptor & millions of pigeons!!!!
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi, She's happy and has access to water all the time. As for being stressed she gets left to do what she wishes most of the time and she comes to me. She sits on my head, my shoulder or my arm. Usually after a visit from me, if I give a couple of minutes and sneak a look she's feeding and drinking.

Thanks for the input, anything is worth knowing.

Ashlady...I must admit seeing Lucky do that reminded me of an old tv series about a talking horse called Mr Ed.

Gildy x
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by cumbriandoglover
you will get your wish......dead raptor & millions of pigeons!!!!
Now you're just being silly!! You had a sensible response to your sensible comment. Nobody here is trying to starve the Sparrowhawk and it was explained that Gildys action was spur of the moment
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 12:19 PM
other things that cause this (known in birds as "gaping") are gape worm and being too hot.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Now you're just being silly!! You had a sensible response to your sensible comment. Nobody here is trying to starve the Sparrowhawk and it was explained that Gildys action was spur of the moment
Hi AL,
As if on cue I looked around my garden and now the leaves have dropped I can see the gardens that face onto mine and flying along those gardens and heading to an area I know becomes fields quite soon(quicker I suspect when flown)was...the hawk(nothing in his/her tallons)but that means it has had or will again. Our gardens though in the centre of town are quite rural(all things considered)so they have the advantage of attracting many types of bird and animal.

That happened 90 minutes ago...its been extremely quiet, no singing and no birds but slowly some little ones have returned to the feeders nearest the house and where a conifer tree gives some protection(I bet that they have been hiding in there all this time )

And Lucky in that time has eaten and drank(even had some of the Oyster Grit)and is now spending ages preening herself and showing off her feathers

Still want to release her soon but I have spotted a final area that needs some repair and then all is well.

Gildyx
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi Gildy

Just spent ages (in work!) reading through this whole thread.

I think what you have done is amazing and its great that Lucky has got on so well with you looking after her/him!

I have also done the same as you, only it was a starling from a cat.
Our old neighbours had 6cats and we always have feed the birds, so of course they knew where to sit and wait for!

I was in the kitchen and heard a lot of squaking by the rest of the birds and saw the cat&bird. Ran outside, cat ran, bird struggled along the ground to the border.
Think it had its wing hurt and obviouly in shock. I lifted it put it in a box with water and left it be in the quiet, but it died about an hour later. Poor thing.

Hasnt happened again as that neighbour moved and we got dogs, so all the other cats stay well away now!

We have also have a sparrow hawk come swooping through our hedge several times. It is SO fast and agile. After it flies through there is a not one single cheep from the hedge for several minutes until they know its definatly gone. Its like they are all sitting on their branches counting each other to see if anyone is missing!

So once again well done for all your hard work with Lucky, you will probably miss her when you let her go? But as someone said before she'll prob stay about your house.

Joanne
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Hello Joanne,

I do not get the chance to welcome people here very often not because I don't want to but there are so many good and friendly people on this site, I cannot keep up with all the threads

I may if I went broadband, many are trying to persuade me to do so(if I was at work maybe I could use the connection there and make good use of their access to the net)

Thank you for taking the time to read and join in, I'm sorry that your attempt to help did not work out but your bird did pass away in peace and even the little that you perhaps felt that you did still helped. You call it as it is at the time.

Not sure how you came across Dogweb(some of us came across when the site was kind enough to offer us a home when things went bad on a BBC site that decided to change its format and close some boards down)that shows how kind it is. I like the fact though we never forget animals and birds and it may be called Dog Web there is room to talk of many subjects and strike up friendships and you even have the facility for private messages and its up to you how much information you divulge. In general, even if someone disagreed with an opinion it is done in a nice way and I doubt it would be possible to fall out over something.

Take Care

And above all...enjoy yourself

Thanks Again...

Anthony x
Page 10 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >