Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Caravan & camping exhibition secc

Oh and I are off to this tomorrow has anyone been before?We are thinking about buying a caravan as we don't do abroad coz of the dogs,xxxxxxxxxx
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I been to the big one at the NEC. Went many years ago and its a huge event not sure how big the Scottish version is like.

Just had one down here at the Exeter show ground, the first they have ever had and it was quite a success, although I saw little new in the caravaning world to get excited about.

We have a Mendip Classic 534 which I bought about 18 months ago, its based on a Compass omega but with more bells and whistles, so far very pleased with it but would like to get more time to use it.

I would recommend Mendip Caravans as they were very helpful but it would be a major trek from you way. They always have some good deals at the end of the season so pick your time to buy very carefully.

You need to match it with a decent towing vehicle, my Navara pickup can tow 3 tonnes plus though so it doesn't matter in our case.

Baileys do some very good prices on their vans, but I have never been too impressed with the fit and finish and I know someone who had to have a complete front end on his at 10 months under warranty as it was leaking rather bad due to its flimsy front panel.

Heres the 'rig',
its as long as a coach

boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey looks great,cheers for the info.Must show my oh,he's not quite sure what he wants yet.We need something kinda roomy for us,two Rotts and a Cocker too.We've never had a holiday in ages and just get fed up now and again,plus we might be traveling loads due to showing etc,so it would be well used.
The last time we went on holiday we went camping,it was some laugh.Not enough people give it a try.If you have all the correct gear it can be fun.Boy oh boy the tents you can buy nowadays are something else too.Anyway wish me luck,you never know we might see something nice and suitable,xxxxxxxxxx
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2008, 10:50 PM
GL, hope you enjoy it there.

Towing half a house behind you is not everyones 'cup of tea', if you like what you see then maybe think about a secondhand one first to see if you like it, but be very careful what you buy as there are some real poor quality ones about.

Also remember that 99% of the driving population will likely hate you for it, but you can always drive with a big smile on your face knowing you have p*ssed Jeremy Clarkson off!

He thinks that having a gas guzzler is good because it p*sses off Bill Odie, so its fair enough.

Lol, just noticed I can see the dogs looking at me out of the trucks side windows.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
good Luck Lorraine a caravan 2was the best thing we ever bought
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Oooo let me know how you get one, we are seriously thinking about getting a second hand one...handy hints anyone? Us and (me Oh and son) and doglets of course!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Well what a lovely day out that was and very interesting too.God knows how many caravans we climbed in and out off.Omg there were loads and eventually I felt like just passing out in one of them and having a nap.

I think my oh has kinda decided what he would like now,as to whether he can pick one up now is a very different kettle of fish.Seeing as it will be our first,we have decided to try and buy a second hand one to get us started.We really liked the Swift Conqueror 630,it is an absolute beauty and well set out with more than enough space for us and the dogs.So it's either that or something very similar we are on the hunt for now.So heres to happy hunting,xxxxxxxx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 09:23 PM
glad you enjoyed it. There are some stunning caravans around now. we have a 13 year old Coachman Genius 5 birth. Its in great condition. We have had it 2 years this July and have had several holidays in it so far. OH is fine towing it, I am staying firmly in the passenger seat for now, although I am considering a days course on learning how to tow

The kids love it, this year will be the first one that we will be taking a dog but can't wait.

Each time we go away we get better at packing and setting it up. We should be on Youv'e been framed when putting the awning up though but we love it.

Hope you join the world of caravanning soon, hope you love it as much as we do

Mel x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:12 PM
hI Mel...where do you get your caravan from??? Do you need sperate insurance? Sorry to ask daft questions!!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm thinking of buying a caravan so I'd be interested in as much info as possible
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >