View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
But my point on the other forum Noushka, was that fox numbers are kept at a higher level than would naturally have happened without the introduction of an alien species (rabbits) to predate on, without animals that prey on foxes and with all the goodies us humans leave lying around.

I think foxes are beautiful, but I also firmly believe that we've unbalanced the natural environment in this country to such a great extent that it's up to us to manage numbers of some animals to try and keep things in balance.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id rather not compete for brownie points.

Foxes are fine where they should be yes I agree, in manageable numbers. When they cause issue or behave unnaturally, it needs to be addressed. Likewise the Collared Doves and Wood Pigeons that kill thousands upon thousands of Song Birds each year, due to their immunity to a disease they pass onto others which suffocates and starves them to death.
LOL and lets just sweep the cat problem under the carpet

Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
But my point on the other forum Noushka, was that fox numbers are kept at a higher level than would naturally have happened without the introduction of an alien species (rabbits) to predate on, without animals that prey on foxes and with all the goodies us humans leave lying around.

I think foxes are beautiful, but I also firmly believe that we've unbalanced the natural environment in this country to such a great extent that it's up to us to manage numbers of some animals to try and keep things in balance.
being as you like to keep things in balance what about the MILLIONS of cats who should not be in the natural environment in the 1st place?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
being as you like to keep things in balance what about the MILLIONS of cats who should not be in the natural environment in the 1st place?
And rabbits
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
This was posted on another forum on the same discussion, not about foxes, but shows what happens when we allow animals to become out of balance with nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgDclFnxdI
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:43 PM
And rabbits
pmsl i see you evade my question

but no not rabbits! its a very poor comparison, maybe you should compare them to mink (and i kno mink arnt domesticated lol)

do you realise with out the rabbit some of our native creatures would probably be extinct? so as i keep saying the rabbit is a naturalized species and is actually important to our rarest habitats!

the cat on the on the other hand is a DOMESTICATED uncontrolled Alien predator speaks for itself really
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:43 PM
This was posted on another forum on the same discussion, not about foxes, but shows what happens when we allow animals to become out of balance with nature.

That was really interesting - thanks for posting that.
I dont think anyone on here has an 'issue' with people shoting animals in pain, distress with clean sighs on injuries or disease.
But I dont believe that is the intention behind 'all' hunters, and thats what I have an issue with.
This fox wasnt shot because it was in pain, or showing signs of diseases (which to me would be a 'vaild' reason - it was shot because 'a' fox attacked a pet - which to me isnt a vaild reason.

I am aware there is good and bad in all - and them taking out diseased and injuried animals have respect from me -I couldnt do it - them that do it for any other reason dont deserve respect.
I have said a number of times that although I work with wild animals, with rabbits that are affected and carrying mixy - that I dont agree with the treating of them - unless its in the very early stages. I am not naive enough to believe that someone who sees a mixy affected rabbit should pick it up and bring it to the wildlife hospital (like most people do) - as that to me is unfair on the animal, who cant see, is 'wild' and shouldnt/hasnt has human contact - it would be far safer/fairer to the animal to be shot - which would prevent further distess - now just dont tell anyone I said that

Off out in the dark now to walk the dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Humans are OK in small numbers. Culling a few would be a good idea---more room for the cats then.

rune
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:52 PM
And rabbits
actually Tarimoor i find your reply very ironic lol because here you use a prey species whos numbers are controlled by the fox .... plus other predators including man.

nothing controls cat populations and theyre increasing year upon year.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
That was really interesting - thanks for posting that.
I dont think anyone on here has an 'issue' with people shoting animals in pain, distress with clean sighs on injuries or disease.
But I dont believe that is the intention behind 'all' hunters, and thats what I have an issue with.
This fox wasnt shot because it was in pain, or showing signs of diseases (which to me would be a 'vaild' reason - it was shot because 'a' fox attacked a pet - which to me isnt a vaild reason.

I am aware there is good and bad in all - and them taking out diseased and injuried animals have respect from me -I couldnt do it - them that do it for any other reason dont deserve respect.
I have said a number of times that although I work with wild animals, with rabbits that are affected and carrying mixy - that I dont agree with the treating of them - unless its in the very early stages. I am not naive enough to believe that someone who sees a mixy affected rabbit should pick it up and bring it to the wildlife hospital (like most people do) - as that to me is unfair on the animal, who cant see, is 'wild' and shouldnt/hasnt has human contact - it would be far safer/fairer to the animal to be shot - which would prevent further distess - now just dont tell anyone I said that

Off out in the dark now to walk the dogs.
you be careful now missy moo
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Balance is what its all about.No one wants to see any animal hunted to extinction,but to simply have their population kept in check.Some like deer and fox have no natural predator so humans have to take the lead and i'll never be persuaded otherwise.

To be blunt,its just another thing which happens in rural life which some people are totally unaware.I shoot foxes,rabbits,hares,pigeons,corvids for various farmers and if you ask why they're culled its because they're all a threat to the farmers livelihood.

ps.You dont own a cat-you're just someone who feeds it.
Page 18 of 37 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »