Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Dog Show Requirements

Whilst at the Strathisla riding club committee meeting last night.. I decided to ask what everyone thought of holding a dog show as one of our shows this summer. Everyone seemed quite enthusiatic about the idea...So we decided to put it on in July.. heres hoping for sunny weather!!
Then whilst considering a venue.. one of the members thought we may require a licience from the Kennel Club
Does anyone know if this is the case??
Also looking for ideas for classes, all suggestions welcome??
Any judges in Aberdeenshire area, free for judging????
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-04-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/

You will probably need to contact thre Kenel Club at the above link re a Licence

Ideas for classes

Waggiest Tail
Best 6 legs
Dog the Judge would most like to take home
best height under 14 inches
and various height classes.
Best trick

to name a few.

Good luck and hope it all goes well.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
You do need a licence for a companion show. & insurance cover. At least half your profits have to go to a registered charity & you have to have a letter from them accepting this. I think I read you have to contact the SKC for shows in Scotland. You cam run a fun show but although the KC no longer penalise exhibitors who attend these events, they do frown on judges who judge at them.. Good luck with this venture.
chaumsong
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:59 PM
As GSD Sue has said, you don't actually NEED a licence to run a companion dog show - anyone can run a show although obviously insurance is a must - but it may be covered by the existing riding club or venue insurance? The only problem to running a show outwith the KC is that you may be restricted in judges who are willing to do it. To be honest though if it's just fun classes then anyone can judge
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Sonya you could get some dog food companies to sponsor the classes offering food as prizes and maybe some local pet stores will give you some give aways as prizes in return for advertising.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 11:51 PM
You don't have to run one licenced by the KC. It's really up to you and whether you want to spend the money on a licence and insurance. I would definately suggest you get insurance but you might find this is covered by the show anyway. I think the licence and insurance from the kc was about £30 (or it was a couple of years ago). Think someones posted a link above.
The only other thing if you go under KC licence is you must organise it to their rules ie, if you're doing pedigree classes you have to have ones from their list and judge to their rules so you would need someone who knows what they are doing.
If you are just going to put on fun classes, waggiest tail etc, then I wouldn't bother spending the money on the KC at all. You could have anyone to judge really as it's just a bit of fun. When I organised one with RIO I did do it through the KC as I'm in the Midlands and we knew there was a big catchment for the pedigree classes. Geographically I don't know what sort of entry you would get in Aberdeenshire so personally I would just do a non KC fun show, perhaps chuck in some pedigree classes, see what sort of entry you get and then perhaps run it under the KC in following years. The idea after all is to have some fun and raise some money. What you don't want is to lose money.
Look on the Companion Dog show section on here. Lot's of posts on ideas for fun classes.
Good luck with it.
puremagic*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Sonya,
Have spoken to a friend of mine who is on Bon ~Accord Club committee and he says Yes you do need a licence, there is no such thing as a companion show anymore. You would have to apply to Scottish Kennel Club for this.
He is compiling a list of names and numbers for judges for you.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I can assure you that unless the rules are totally different in Scotland you do not need a licence. A Companion Dog Show is licenced but you can call it a fun show & run it without a licence, Our Charity run several a year one big one we are running as a KC licenced companion show the other three we have organised so far will just be fun shows.Doesn't mean we don't have a few pedigree classes. Only problem is the KC frowns on judges who judge nonlicenced shows so you need to find judges who have perhaps given up KC judging.
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2008, 03:43 PM
thanks guys..for your help
hmm, think i better look in to it.
dont want to make any boo, boos!!!!!!!!!!!
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
I can assure you that unless the rules are totally different in Scotland you do not need a licence. A Companion Dog Show is licenced but you can call it a fun show & run it without a licence, Our Charity run several a year one big one we are running as a KC licenced companion show the other three we have organised so far will just be fun shows.Doesn't mean we don't have a few pedigree classes. Only problem is the KC frowns on judges who judge nonlicenced shows so you need to find judges who have perhaps given up KC judging.
thanks.. thaT WAs what I would have thought, too!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >