View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 08:59 PM

Guide dog foster homes for the pups(do they all use similar methods)

Hi all,

After coming across this topic in quite a few threads, and at the risk of opening a hornet's nest, I have an International question...

What requirements apply in your country/county/state/province to people seeking to foster a guide-dog pup during it's first year?

I'll open with the requirements in the Netherlands (we're only a small country so we only have 1 central organization which is responsible for all guide-dogs):

- the pup must be placed in a family environment,
- at least 1 adult in the family must be with the dog at all times. However, the dog may be left alone twice a week, for a maximum of two hours both times.
- the foster family must be willing and able to lavish a great deal of time and attention on the dog, bringing him into contact with a very large number of circumstances, amongst others:
  • shopping in a large number of different settings,
  • visits to restaurants, other families, shops, celebrations
  • travel on all forms of transport (car, bus, train, airplane)
- the guide dog organization has the right to visit and observe at all times, without prior appointment
- the foster home is willing to take the dog to the veterinary university for health checks at any moment
- after 1 year the family will return the dog to the guide dog organization
- although children are required in the family, no child may be younger then 4 years old
- the foster home will receive no compensation, other then food and veterinary bills
- the family must live within an urban environment
- the family must have a car
- other pets are not a problem, as long as they are well trained (dog training certificates required)
- experience with dogs is not a requirement, as long as there is a large amount of love, common sense and patience

So, these are the basic requirement you must fulfill in the Netherlands before even filling in the application form... once you've applied you get a complete grilling several times to make sure you've been honest, including surprise visits...needless to say very few families meet the standards.... but the result is that all aspiring pups start their lives getting loads of attention and barely ever being alone....

What's it like where you are?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2010, 09:12 PM
The 'essential criteria' for a Puppy Walker in the uk...

Puppy walking can be fun for children, although having a household with children and a guide dog puppy can be a mixed blessing! Both puppy and child must learn respect for one another. Children should be of a suitable ability and age to enjoy the experience, and allow you enough time to train and educate the puppy to the required standard.
The puppy will need to experience busy town conditions, traffic, shops, crowds, car travel, and public transport on a regular basis so you will need access to a car and public transport.
You will need to sign a copy of our Puppy Walking Agreement each time a puppy is placed with you.
Throughout the process you will never be alone. A representative from Guide Dogs will call regularly to check on the puppy’s progress, give practical advice and help with any difficulties.

Essential criteria for puppy walking

A puppy needs to be welcomed into your home and understood by all the family. The puppy should be reared with the blend of affection, control and supervision normally given to a young child. As a prospective puppy walker, who will care for and walk one of our puppies, the following criteria are essential:
  • You must be at least 18 years of age to be in charge of the puppy. Whilst any children at home can enjoy lending a hand, it is important that any puppy training, e.g. lead work, is only carried out by a person who is a minimum of 16 years of age.
  • You should be at home most of the day. This will ensure that there is enough time to feed, exercise and educate the puppy. The puppy must not be left on its own longer than three hours each day.
  • You need to live in suitable accommodation with easy access to an appropriate relief area. Homes in, or within easy reach of, built up areas are preferred in order to condition the puppy to all aspects of town life.
  • Whilst it is not a problem for other pets to be in the home, any pet dogs must be of a suitable temperament.
Equipment..
Guide Dogs will supply all the necessary equipment to enable you to puppy walk, however, you will be asked to provide feed and water bowls and a bed for your puppy. Initially this could be a cardboard box with a blanket as puppies by nature will chew. Guide Dogs will also provide ID discs in case your puppy wanders off, but we will ask you to attach an ID disc of your own to help the authorities reunite you with your puppy should this happen.
Taken from the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association website UK.
http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/helpus/v...puppy-walking/
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2010, 09:29 PM
None of the programs I know of in the USA are near that restrictive. I have wasted too much time here recently answering questions intelligent people should be able to figure out themselves. Go to www.iaadp.org and get the names of a few schools. Dig up their website yourself.

I have a life outside the net. I need to be off to the baseball field with my puppy.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
None of the programs I know of in the USA are near that restrictive.
Well, i think most people that have read your posts and your methods realise that.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 09:52 PM
None of the programs I know of in the USA are near that restrictive. I have wasted too much time here recently answering questions intelligent people should be able to figure out themselves. Go to www.iaadp.org and get the names of a few schools. Dig up their website yourself.

I have a life outside the net. I need to be off to the baseball field with my puppy.
well Labman, that tells me enough! On many a thread so far you have deemed yourself an expert and have cut and pasted over and over again, yet now you choose to call me stupid... such a pity! I don't disagree with you on everything, but this reply... well .... and next time... please don't bother to reply and go spend more time with your pup, some of us on here really are interested in other ways of seeing/interpreting the world around us!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:02 PM

restrictions are put in place to protect the vulnerable puppies from neglect.
So you couldnt recomend your own fine school and why is that.
Is this in the few hours thet are allowed out of their prision?!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Well that just about says it all for me Labman , rudeness arrogance, excuses, we have the lot .

I had quick look at the link, it doesn't say much about the requirements expected of puppy carers so I guess as long as they can stand upright and breath they are given a puppy.

Is the the organisation you have connects with Labman, if so I note it does say that ''Your dog must master the basic obedience skills: "Sit, Stay, Come, Down, Heel" and an off leash Recall in response to verbal commands and/or hand signals'' I think you have told us in a previous post that you don't let your puppies off the lead so I am not sure how they learn off lead response in any situation away from home .

ETA yes I have found it..

Originally Posted by Labman
We are forbidden to ever allow our service dog puppies off lead.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...ad#post1734438
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
The 'essential criteria' for a Puppy Walker in the uk...

Equipment..

Taken from the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association website UK.
http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/helpus/v...puppy-walking/
thanx Minihaha,

sounds similar to my little side of the pond! Good for the pups!

Any other countries?

Went to the website Labman suggested for the US but am non the wiser... had to register to get more info but I don't believe in registering just anywhere.... but am very interested in knowing how it is in the US...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:24 PM
The Seeing Eye organisation have strict puppy walking regime & they have local people on the ground who can check up at anyime

I like the fact that if the dog doesn't make it the puppy walker has the option of having the dog back as a pet
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The Seeing Eye organisation have strict puppy walking regime & they have local people on the ground who can check up at anyime

I like the fact that if the dog doesn't make it the puppy walker has the option of having the dog back as a pet
I like that a lot as well! I know many families with these foster pups and know that each and every one would love to take the dog if it didn't work out.... but that's not part of the deal here... good tip! I'm thinking of bundling the best international experiences and sending them to our organization... thank you for this one!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »