Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Harvey & the new car

Until a few months ago i had a Nissan Micra. It was my second Micra. However things change including changing to another model & this time i went for a Nissan Note. Since its arrival Harvey has refused /said he couldnt - jump into either the boot area or into the back seat area. As he is approx 30 kilos it has been very awkward, once we get his front paws on the boot area, for me, to heave from his bottom area, the rest of him into the car. It has been easier not to take him out in the car, which is a shame as often we would pile into the car & head off to various areas for rambles etc.

With the impending visit to the Vets for his booster loomimg up next month i decided it was time to try & sort his phobia out once & for all . Armed with a packet of much coveted dog treats we went over to the car. Spread out the cream mat once boot was opened. It goes the full width of the boot. This is to protect the paintwork when lifting the wheel chair in & out of the boot or in this case scratches from dog nails. Lots of encouragement & treats & patting of the boot area & on third attempt up Harvey got. Wow was he pleased with himself. Took him for short walk, back to car & straight into the boot he jumped! Repeated this several times. Then just asking him to jump in & out & our boy did it each time. Hip hiP happy days

As we came back to the house i was thinking how much easier & successful this session had been compared to others & mused what was different. Then it occurred to me, i hadnt had the mat in the boot on previous occassions.! Maybe the familar look of the mat (carpet) made him feel more confident. On the other hand maybe he realised if he didnt get in the car, he didnt go anywhere exciting anymore -