Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Showing Chloe... Advice Please!

Hey,

Well, as most of you probably know by now Chloe is the mum of our two lab pups! She's never been anything but a pet for the last 4 and a half years, but the last month or so we've been taking her along to ringcraft as we felt bad about leaving her at home. Anyway, Riley's in 'semi-retirement' as he seems to have gone off showing, so a couple of weeks ago we thought we'd give Chloe a go at the ringcraft as she loves the attention!
We thought we'd have more trouble with her as she has always had to sit for treats and when we're fussing her, but she's actually really good. She stands perfectly to let them have a look at her and she always has moved nicely.

We have two problems though.. One is her operation. She ruptured her cruciate ligament back in march and had quite a big operation on her leg for that. It has healed very well, though the leg is slightly bent. No one has ever commented on it, and you cant really notice it unless you're really looking for it, but will that be a problem with showing her? Obviously we're not thinking championship level, but at limit or open shows, could she do it? Also, as i posted on here a while ago, she has an allergy to grass, wheat and dust. This means that in the summer she literally tears chunks of her coat out It has started growing back, she just has a few little patches to come back, but we were hoping to put her in a novice class in a limit show in about 3 weeks.. Hopefully it will have grown back by then, but what do you guys think?? At the ringcraft last night they said to give it a go cos she's a nice dog and they should take into consideration how she moves and stuff more than the coat.. But i dont know..

Anyone??
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 04:29 PM
With a ruptured cruciate ligament repair, I think you will need permission to show her, its one of those things I think, like spaying etc..
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Sorry I meant to add a couple of things. Many breeders would not consider breeding from a bitch that had a cruciate ligament tear, in some breeds it is considered hereditary, Rotts in particular, not too sure about Labs. I think this is why you need permission to show from the KC. Didnt Chloe's rupture after you mated her though? If so you wouldnt of known.

Good sound legs don't normally rupture. The usual cause is an angled Tibial Plato. The ligament, instead of being at right angles to the load is set at a slight angle so the load is taken on a section rather than the whole. The fault has been found to run in families, so the hereditary link is there.
That was taken from a Lab specific site.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.
Dawn.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi yes unfortunately Dawn is right you will have to write to the Kennel Club explianing why the operation was carried out and ask for permission to show.

Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow.. I didn't know that! Chloe just ruptured it out running. Our vet (and a vet friend of mine) said that it is quite common and can just happen if they're running or jumping and land wrong or something They never mentioned anything about it being hereditary

How would they know she had the operation anyway? From what you have both said Chloe would be disqualified from the show, but i dont see how they could tell... Also, i haven't seen anything in the KC show regulations about not showing them with that injury.. She is very fit and healthy apart from the allergies, which is the only thing i've seen the KC comment on

It seems very odd that you cant show a dog at open or limit level thats had an operation
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 06:14 PM
It is covered by the general rule about operations that change natural conformation and no they wouldnt know unless someone told them, but you would be taking a chance. Do you remember the fuss that was made after the peke got best in show at Crufts, about the operation it had ?

Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 06:26 PM
lol i dont think Chloe will be going to quite the same level as crufts!! We're literally wanting to do something like novice or maiden at the smaller open shows..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Yes Willowish I remember!

The fact remains you have altered the natural construction of the dog, the KC requires you to ask permission to show any dog that has has such an op. If they found out she had had the op, you would lose all Chloe's awards and possibly those of her puppies too, you could also be banned from showing (worst case scenario) You could go ahead without saying a word, however you have just told the world on a public forum!
Dawn.
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Just because a dog has an operation doesn't mean it can't show. The KC can and do give permission to show. In which case you can then show them. We had to do this when our bitch was spayed due to Pyometra and we can now show her and if anything is said we have a letter form the KC.

Also a bent leg I would think would effect a dogs front movement. however it may not show when the dog is moving at speed!

At the end of the day open shows and limit shows are held under the same rules as champ shows and the same rules as crufts!

I can't see why you would get upset about having to ask permission. It doesn't take much. Every month there are a number of "permission to show" listed in the KC gazzette!

If it comes though as you can't show her then just love her for the pet she has always been!

Or would you rather get yourself a possible ban? (well it is possibly although highly unlikly!)

Sorry to go on. I do hope you can get permission. I don't know what you are given permission for and what your not so I can't say.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 08:31 PM
As I understand it when you apply for permission to show after an operation the KC looks at the reasons the operation was carried out and if it has been to improve on something that can be classed as an inherited problem or for cosmetic reasons they won't give permission. After all do we really want to increase cosmetic surgery on dogs so that they can win in the show ring NO. However if it is carried out to repair damage after an accidently injury or as in spaying or neutering which doesnt improve any faults as such then they will give permission.You are then supposed to have your letter of permisson with you when you show your dog.

I think Jessica was just rathered suprised she would need this Roxanne not that she was upset about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >