Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Flu jab

Whilst at the doc's last week, I was offered the flu jab.

Yes please, says I - then the nurse dropped the news that this year the flu jab contains the swine flu virus.

She said some people are ok afterwards, but some are "off colour" for a few days.

I declined to have it, and she looked rather surprised.

What would you have done?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
I personally haven't had the flu jab and don't think I would unless there was very good reason - e.g. I was quite ill and the last thing I needed was flu, or a relative was ill and the risk of them catching flu needed to be eliminated as much as possible. I've had flu once and although it was horrible (have never been so ill, even when I had suspected appendicitis, I think I'd rather have that pain for a week than flu!), one week out of 23 years isn't bad going and I'd rather take my chances with the lurgy than with the jab. My nan was ill after having the jab one year so I think sometimes the jab can cause more problems than the actual bug anyway!
Nevermind adding in the swine flu jab, which has been controversial enough on its own.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I used to have a flu jab but, since it now has swine flu in it I'm not having it. Don't think they have done enough research on it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Swine Flu jabs in Asda and Sainsburys - £8.00!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I had the flu jab at the end of September and they didn't mention swine flu was added.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Don't want to scaremonger but my uncle and several other folk have recently been quite ill after the flu jab(know everyone is different and some ok) and were not told at first about the swine flu element. Also all surgeries get paid a certain amount for each jab given, which makes me wonder (if that's one of the reasons?) why they encourage so many people to have them. People who are allergic to eggs can't have them either from what have been told. Is individual choice at the end of the day though.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Well I am shocked by this news although I am also relieved to know why I have felt so ill. I am one of those that always feel a little unwell after the flu injection. I had mine done a week ago on the Monday, Tuesday I was fine and bragging to my friend that this years jab hasn't affected me. Then bang, on Wednesday until this morning I have felt so ill I really thought I had something serious going on with my chest but too scared to go to the doctor as I thought I would end up in hospital. I suffer with COPD and Asthma, so am used to having breathing problems, but nothing like this. I have had breathing problems all week,continually coughing, a sore throat, couldn't even swallow without pain, struggled even to drink fluid, could not eat. Feeling dizzy and light headed, that was probably through lack of food thinking about it. Had my first meal last night in nearly a week. I was not told anything about the swine flu in the vaccine, although even if I had been told I would have had it done, but at least it would have explained why I felt to ill and I would not have worried so much. I know I should have gone to see the doctor but just got so scared. This morning I woke up and couldn't open my eye, looks like I have an eye infection now as its all blood shot, probably nothing to do with the jab just my immune system run down. But I am on the mend at last.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I didn't realise so many people had the jabs tbh I thought they were for the ill and infirm and no I wouldn't have it as I've never had the flu and don't even get colds.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 04:10 PM
My sister works in a GP practice and none of the staff have the swine flu jab because they see so many bad reactions to it.
So I would refuse.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I never had any reactions with the plain flu jab.

My 80 year old father had the swine flu jab last year with no ill effects. I tried to talk him out of it without letting him know my concerns but, he was adement he was having it. I was actually terrifed he was going to die if he had it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >