View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Can antibiotics (Cephorum) cause excessive drinking and sickness?

Jimmi had been on Cephorum for six days when he suddenly started drinking excessively (between three and four times his normal daily amount). He doesn't constantly keep going to the bowl, but when he does he downs vast quantities. (This is very reminiscent of 18 months ago when we first brought him home, and after numerous tests nothing was found to be wrong - it gradually eased and became normal).
This morning I went in to the kitchen and it was awash with wee, poor little chap - not surprising really though. He had his breakfast, but an hour or so later brought it all back up again; it might be because he had another load of water.

The Cephorum is the only different component to his daily routine and intake, but he has had this brand before without any problems.

During the last two days, as well as the drinking he has been depressed and lethargic, and has been sleeping much of the time. When he is awake, he is not his normal happy self at all.

Rightly or wrongly, I have not given him tonight's tablet and so far his dinner has stayed down. He also seems slightly brighter in himself, but is still drinking too much.

I am obviously going to ring the vet first thing in the morning, but just wondered if anyone has come across this before?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Well - I will answer my own question, having been to the vet.

No - Cephorum is not known for causing excessive drinking. A bit of a blow really, because the amount that Jimmi is now gulping down is seriously worrying.

His urine sample showed nothing abnormal, so this evening he had some blood taken for analysis.........vet will ring with the results later tonight.

I am in a bit of a state but hopefully there will be some answers before too long.

Thank you Bitkin for your reply
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Sorry your still having trouble with this. At least the vet is aware and has started looking into things.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 04:20 PM
How did you get on with the blood tests/results?

Hope Jimmi has had some relief from the cysts as least and is getting back to normal with his drinking etc.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 04:53 PM
sorry i missed this how are u both now?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
How did you get on with the blood tests/results?

Hope Jimmi has had some relief from the cysts as least and is getting back to normal with his drinking etc.
Welllllllllll - the blood tests showed that kidney, liver and everything else function is completely normal which is a huge relief, however he is still drinking far far too much and it is a complete mystery. Will continue below....

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
sorry i missed this how are u both now?
Thank you - but you can't be everywhere at once! I was rather hoping that you may have come across something like this to be honest.

Anyway, to sum up:

Last weekend Jimmi was very unwell for two days; also very lethargic, and he started drinking copiously. He was sick on Sunday morning, about an hour after his breakfast, but that may well have been because he had gulped down so much water.
He has never lost his appetite, and his poops are completely normal, but of course he is weeing bucketfuls - and despite me staying up very late and getting up early there is a puddle in the kitchen. He doesn't drink anything overnight, but starts first thing in the morning.
He doesn't have a temperature, and his mucus membranes are normal.........however, his skin is very very pale which is highly unusual for him; even the paw with the cyst is pale and normally it is some shade of red.
He no longer seems poorly, and is almost but not quite back to his usual irritating self! He is sleeping even more than usual though - I say even more, because he does sleep a lot anyway and given that we have no idea how old he actually is that might just be because he is a pensioner.
As far as we know, there has been nothing for him to scavenge in the garden.
The Antibiotics, and the salmon that I put them in, were stopped on Sunday.
Jimmi did this excessive drinking thing 18 months ago when we first had him - all the tests then showed nothing abnormal, and he gradually stopped it. I would think that it might be something psychological, except for the fact that he was so poorly for two days at the start of it, and is still not 100% himself now.
The vet has asked me to keep a daily record of exactly how much he is drinking and contact him next week with the update. He is stumped.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 06:30 PM

what does he eat?

do u have the heating on?

did he have a haematology blood test as well? a urine sample?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 06:34 PM
This is interesting. Dex has been on anti biotics for five days - and on the fourth day he suddenly started drinking much more water than normal. Usually he hardly consumes any water, so I immediately noticed the difference.

I will go and check which anti biotics he has been on, hang on....

......OH threw away the empty bottle and I don't recall which medicine it was!!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post

what does he eat?

do u have the heating on?

did he have a haematology blood test as well? a urine sample?
He eats salmon and potato (Wafcol) and has done ever since we have had him, because of his skin troubles in the past. No heating on at all at the moment, and it is cooler than it has been.
He had a urine sample tested - totally clear. I think that the vet ran every test going on his blood

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
This is interesting. Dex has been on anti biotics for five days - and on the fourth day he suddenly started drinking much more water than normal. Usually he hardly consumes any water, so I immediately noticed the difference.

I will go and check which anti biotics he has been on, hang on....

......OH threw away the empty bottle and I don't recall which medicine it was!!!
Drat..........that might have been interesting; mind you, the vet said that this particular AB wasn't one that normally caused problems of this sort. Jimmi hasn't had a tablet since Sunday, and his drinking is still as bad.

Normally he drinks around a pint a day, give or take a bit. At the moment it is a massive 3 to 4 pints.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Well - I will answer my own question, having been to the vet.

No - Cephorum is not known for causing excessive drinking. A bit of a blow really, because the amount that Jimmi is now gulping down is seriously worrying.

His urine sample showed nothing abnormal, so this evening he had some blood taken for analysis.........vet will ring with the results later tonight.

I am in a bit of a state but hopefully there will be some answers before too long.

Thank you Bitkin for your reply:lol:
Oh you are a case!!! Soooo funny!!

After reading your initial post for the first time I was going to answer you before you answered yourself lol!

These must be similar to what Georgie has had for weeks on end now for about 6 months on and off (although his are Cephacare so probably the same family) and no, I don't notice him drinking or wee'ing anymore than normal. He isn't depressed either, just his usual self, they must suit him very well, but obviously they don't suit little Jimmi do they

They've obviously done some kidney tests with that blood and urine, so I can't imagine what might be up with him Just clutching at straws here, BUT, has this all started since you put him on that new bag of food which looked and smelled strange???? Could be something to do with that? Think back and try and remember if it started at the same time? Is it the Wafcol salmon and potato you are on? If not, why don't you get a small bag of another brand and see if it makes any difference Fish4Dogs do a salmon and potato and probably loads of others. Might be worth trying if he carries on like this, as it seems even the vet is stumped!

Good luck with him Sally, I hope he perks up a bit and stops drinking so much now that you stopped giving him the ab's. Can't think of anything else to help you out, all very strange.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >