View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree it probably has alot to do with lifestyle etc... but some of the vulnerable breeds are not exactly 'large' and not all large dogs need loads of space, just alot of exercise when adults....
For me I will always want my English setters.... as I adore the breed. It can't just be to do with being large that some of those breeds are 'vulnerable'?? As Labs/retrievers are one of the most popular dogs around.... Rightly so, as they are mostly so great tempered....
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I think many of the breeds like Bloodhounds for example arent really family pets. They're still very much a working breed which hasnt been diluted as such with pet lines and they're not the easiest dogs to train.

As previously stated, I think lifestyle has much to do with it. Development of new properties is more concerned with packing us in like sardines and a decent sized garden is a rarity now. This means you have to take your dog out more and this of course means trying to find the spare time to do so. Smaller dogs dont need as much exercise (generally), and they are cheaper to own.

I personally dont have an interest in owning small dogs, I love big dogs and even though our house doesnt necessarily have the room, I love nothing more than going out over the fields with them so thats where they get their exercise.

I dont think society as a whole has the correct level of knowlege when it comes to different dog breeds and their purposes. They take inspiration from dogs they see on TV, from dogs they see in the street and as a result, the less common breeds stay as exactly that. If only potential dog owners would look at a dog encyclopedia, they would see their are far more breeds out there than Labs, Springers, Yorkies, Westies and Collies (not having a dig at anybody who owns these breeds or their reasons for owning them!)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
Read in the paper last night that certain large breeds of dog are on the decline due to celebrities favouring their 'handbag' pooches...
The KC say fewer of certain breeds are being registered ad this includes the Greyhound, Otterhound, Bloodhound, Pembroke Corgi, Irish Red and White setter etc...
I know that my own breed do not sell as well as they used to, when we got our first setter there were quite a few others about....
Just wanted to know what you all thought....
And did you see the pic they posted as an example of an IRWS?

Yep one of these,

I know it's not a massive mistake, but it really bugs me when the media don't bother to actually do any research before writing an article. Especially when it comes to dogs!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
And did you see the pic they posted as an example of an IRWS?

Yep one of these,

I know it's not a massive mistake, but it really bugs me when the media don't bother to actually do any research before writing an article. Especially when it comes to dogs!
Yep I saw that pic and know its an Irish Red setter, not the red and white.... I researched the setter breeds before I got Jamie and again before Deacon, as a potential dog. Wasn't happy with that pic either...
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Surely the clue was in the name? Lol!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2