View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Yes, every day whatever the weather; usually around 4 walks, with two being long + fetch.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm a firm believer that dogs should be exercised for at least a minimum of an hour off-lead daily (or 100ft trailing line for behavioural or training reasons)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 07:17 AM
some dogs cannot cope with 'normal' life though. Some dogs are toooooooo nervous to be going out for walks and to take them makes them worried/anxious and upset. Surely, if there is a big enough garden and the dogs are kept mentall stimulated, it is much more fair to keep them at home, if trainers and behaviourists have been conuslted/worked with and no improvements made?

As for an hour a day off lead??????? That would kill my dog.
An hour a day off lead with a dog aggressive dog on a 100ft training line could be a total disaster.

AS an aside to that I firmly believe that the more exercise you give, the more they grow to need and expect and in all honesty that isn't always good for them physically.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Even if you can't go out for long I think taking a dog for a walk is very important .
Sniffing around for them is like us reading the news, assessing who and what has been about and scenting territory.

As well as the obvious benefits of stimulating the mind and keeping the body supple, exercise also helps to stimulate a dogs digestive system and to keep it in good working order.

A walk is also good for us humans too and I couldn't cope without my daily walk in the fields .
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 09:09 AM
china goes out for abouot 45mins-1hour a day.

occasionally she may miss a walk if she has come into work with me and we are rushed of our feet (normally i take her across to the park as soon as lynda gets in)

Other than that, she will refuse point blank to go out if its raining!

She doesnt seem to understand that the rain at the back of the house is gonna be the same as at the front of thoe house, so when she refuses to go out in the garden, she will still wait by the front door grunting at her lead, until you put it on and go to take her out then when the front door is opened she will run back inside!

Alex
xx
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
mine sometimes dont have a walk eveyday.

We dont have a routine.Most week days they go over the park for a 1/2hr blast before work. (they all go to work with my oh) then at lunch time O/h walks them down the lane or around the green for a wee etc, but these are lead walks.

We try to take them out straight after work in the winter ,which will again be around the park or road work.

In the summer we will go out for at least a hour for a good run. either before or after tea, (our tea not theirs).depending

At weekends if we dont have shows,they go for Loooong walks.

Then we also train,Club, out in the park & indoors.

Sometimes i might just take one dog out at a time for a bit of 1-2-1, they love that!!!

If i have shows i dont like to walk /run them too much the day before & the day after they just want to sleep.

If i didnt work id take them out alot more,but sadly its just as time allows.

Being collies they will take as much as they can get, but ive been quite poorly for about a month & their walks have suffered.However because the "routine is that there is no routine" ,they just settle & chill out. We have a garden ,but they mainly just lay next to me on the sifa ir around my feet!

So day off today, going to do indivual training first, 1hr each with flynn & mav , then long walk later (flynn ,mav ,nellie). Then tomorrow when OH is off the whole pack will go for a decent walk somewhere,couple of hours.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 10:24 AM
ben wont do his biz in the garden so i have to take him out at least 3 or 4 times a day. he gets 2 nice play walks around the field, and 2 walks around the front for a tiddle and he does at lest 3 or 4 tiddles.
but once we move he will get 1 long walk in the morning and a couple of shorter walks during the day. im hoping as its a different type of garden, he will be able to see us this time he will do his biz there,
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Even if you can't go out for long I think taking a dog for a walk is very important .
Sniffing around for them is like us reading the news, assessing who and what has been about and scenting territory. .
So true! My Mum, bless her soul, always used to say "A sniff out walking to a dog is like reading a good book or the morning newspaper!". I hate to see dogs being dragged along just because they want to stop for a sniff, the sniffs are as important as the tiddles!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 10:47 AM
depends ont he dog as long as they are happy, healthy and fit then it doesnt matter how often and for how long u walk them. As Malady said it depends on what other stimulation the dog is getting. Mine are quiet happy to run around the garden and play rather than walking on the lead.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I take Marius out every day, usually 3 times. Even if it is absolutely chucking it down with rain. I put my waterproof trousers and mac on and go, he would do my head in otherwise as he needs to burn the energy off!!

I like to incorporate some obedience training on the walk as well, so I often go to the field behind my house and do heelwork, sit/downstay etc in amongst throwing his frizbee or ragger for him. He loves it and I get peace as he snores away for a couple of hours

As well as exercise health benefits, I think dogs need the socialization of a walk, seeing other dogs and humans is good for them.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »