Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lou SA View Post
EXACTLY - it's called managing the environment. At my school we have set up a five acre field that is totally escape proof where such breeds can run off leash and have a measure of freedom in safety. It is impossible to undo over a hundred years of genetics!
Well, if it is, then you had better tell my guys that it is, because for 10 years my old boy Hal was let off the leash, Tai who is a rescue and we've had for 3 years, he is let off and now Hal's son whom we have had for almost a year, he also is let off the leash.

With dogs I firmly believe that you should never say "impossible" or "never", but always "maybe" and "I will try".
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well, if it is, then you had better tell my guys that it is, because for 10 years my old boy Hal was let off the leash, Tai who is a rescue and we've had for 3 years, he is let off and now Hal's son whom we have had for almost a year, he also is let off the leash.

With dogs I firmly believe that you should never say "impossible" or "never", but always "maybe" and "I will try".
hmmmm..........
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, all I had to do was read the first few lines to realise how poor this persons concept of language and spelling was....... her ideas on training seem to be on the same par.

That poor dog. She is lucky he didn't decide he had enough of her. Why do people think they can watch a TV show and then all of a sudden they are a dog psychologist? Geez!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Or stick a device on their necks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Or stick a device on their necks.
Or possibly devote their every waking hour when they are not working to working, playing, eating, breathing, living with their dogs to ensure that they achieve their full potential
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Or possibly devote their every waking hour when they are not working to working, playing, eating, breathing, living with their dogs to ensure that they achieve their full potential
AND stick a device on their necks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
AND stick a device on their necks.
AND ensure that they reach their full potential.

See my new thread entitled "Ben's just champion!"
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:27 PM

See my new thread entitled "Ben's just champion!"
That is after you stuck a device on his neck........ dog on on dog aggression can not be "fixed" by a pain related device. It is surpressed. Unless the cause of the aggresion is addressed (usually in many cases it is fear realted) then it is very likely that another behaviour will emerge at some stage .... (not necessairly now) as a kind of coping device.....

I have worked with hundreds of dogs over the years and I live in a country which has a huge dog on dog agression problem (cultural mainly) . Most of which were happily resolved by confidence building / positive reinforcement methods, kindless, rewards and most of all patience and giving the dog time to work stuff out himself. That is if the owner took the time, effort and trouble to go the whole nine yards.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lou SA View Post
That is after you stuck a device on his neck........ dog on on dog aggression can not be "fixed" by a pain related device. It is surpressed. Unless the cause of the aggresion is addressed (usually in many cases it is fear realted) then it is very likely that another behaviour will emerge at some stage .... (not necessairly now) as a kind of coping device.....

I have worked with hundreds of dogs over the years and I live in a country which has a huge dog on dog agression problem (cultural mainly) . Most of which were happily resolved by confidence building / positive reinforcement methods, kindless, rewards and most of all patience and giving the dog time to work stuff out himself. That is if the owner took the time, effort and trouble to go the whole nine yards.
But Lou, you have not got the SPECIAL dog! The one who will NOT recall without being electrocuted! The one who's owners allow to be "NORTY" when it suits them. Fancy you not knowing that!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Well if the only way you can get a dog to reach its full potential is to zap it, forget it and get your dog trained by someone who is more competant than you, and doesn't need to use pain to train him.
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >