View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-12-2014, 04:23 AM
I agree, with some treats Sophie will steal treats from Callie. Fortunately he doesn't challenge her. With big bones...my hubby does the cooking and will even select something that has at least two equal sized bones.

Usually when they get such bones both dogs are so involved with their share that they don't move from their spots until they're done.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Nigredo will steal from under Bunny's face too sometimes. And though she usually backs down, or quickly snatches up her treat and darts off with it when she sees him coming, occasionally she will defend it with a snarl.

Nigredo does not take kindly to this and will stand over her and puff his chest up, demanding her to back off and hand it over, sometimes she will, sometimes she stands up to him to some degree. He then takes a few lumbering steps towards her, and she backs up, but does not always relinquish the snarl.

I have let them do this a tad to see what would happen. It does get scary so I normally break it up when I see it, but the progression is interesting. They are dogs and I was raised to let them works things out to some degree.

Nigredo is not a violent dog, and he won't attack her over the treat, that I do know. He never utters a growl, or curls a lip, or anything. He only wants her to fork over her goodies, but he is not willing to fight over them. But he never has to, she usually gives them up.

He is pushy with HER only, not other dogs and our cats have him in proper check, and he gets his way around here and she hardly has a say in it. Bunny is not bold enough to attack, she did this same type of thing with my last male, as well.

She did get a tad bold once and jumped on him (he was quite a bit younger and far smaller), but she was quickly overpowered and knocked to the ground and held there.

Nowadays, she gets her treats in her crate away from him normally. It makes it safer for her, and everyone else. The cats will sometimes slip near a dog to have a glance at a treat, and she will snarl badly at them (and has snapped at Blue once), which is a huge no-no, so I normally keep her in her crate with her treats. The cats can share Nigredo's treat, he does not mind at all, a funny sight indeed.

But I do think that if she was stupid enough to bite him, he'd fight back viciously (he is very strong these days at 88 lbs) and she'd get hurt pretty badly as he is far larger, younger, bolder, and stronger than her... so I always break up the skirmishes after a tad of non resolution.
AngelicMisfit13
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2015, 10:03 PM
I have given my previous dog and friend's dogs...cooked rib bone..but not typical rib bone...its cut horizontally through the bone and leave discs of rib bone. The dogs usually gnawed into the bones until they got to the marrow, eaten that and were normally done with the bone. I'm thinking of possibly giving my lil one, bones, she is about a 4-5 pound Chipin. Not sure though.

But she does enjoy gnawing and consuming the carrots I give her.
Beta Man
New Member!
Male 

19-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by AngelicMisfit13 View Post
I have given my previous dog and friend's dogs...cooked rib bone..but not typical rib bone...its cut horizontally through the bone and leave discs of rib bone. The dogs usually gnawed into the bones until they got to the marrow, eaten that and were normally done with the bone. I'm thinking of possibly giving my lil one, bones, she is about a 4-5 pound Chipin. Not sure though.

But she does enjoy gnawing and consuming the carrots I give her.
Feed your dog raw bones if you want it to be safe
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2015, 10:51 AM
I am in deep rural Ireland and have heard many many times the belief that if you feed raw to dogs it will awaken or create a blood lust and they will turn into sheep killers...they really believe it too. OF COURSE no dog should be left loose near sheep anyways. Mine get raw bones as often as I can get them. Watching my blind collie working on a big bone is one of life's greatest pleasures.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2015, 02:20 PM
When I had seven dogs together they shared their bones. It was funny to watch them as when they each decided that they had finished they would move round one bone and then lay down and start to chew on the one that had been left. This would go on for ages until they had all decided that they had finished and then they would go out in the garden and roll around cleaning their faces. Tyto is on his own now and brings me his to share. So it does depend on the dog/s I suppuse.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
When I had seven dogs together they shared their bones. It was funny to watch them as when they each decided that they had finished they would move round one bone and then lay down and start to chew on the one that had been left. This would go on for ages until they had all decided that they had finished and then they would go out in the garden and roll around cleaning their faces. Tyto is on his own now and brings me his to share. So it does depend on the dog/s I suppuse.
wee dog here steals the collie's bones, hides them then comes back for more to steal and hide so I keep a close eye now. Wee dog apparently was a solo dog too long to accept equality...as you say it depends on the dogs. Would love it if they shared but there we are..
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4