Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Rottweiler walk - Surrey/Bucks/Berks

Not sure if this is the right section, but is there anyone with a Rottie or look alike I could meet up with for a walk?

After screaming his head off at one this morning, it would be really helpful if Buster could meet up with some which are normal.

He should be fine if you're "With us". I'll come armed with treats.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Not sure when she's free, but Karly's Kiki is part Rottie and looks very Rottie-ish. Plus she's a great stooge She might be able to help
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 11:03 AM
That'd be good - you can testify he'll prob be a good boy and not the deranged psycho I've made him sound like .
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd be up for it but (and it sounds a bit silly when she's a big "tough" breed!) Kiki does get a bit wary of smaller dogs, especially if they're a bit flighty. Not sure if Buster is one to dart around? It's when they're off-lead mostly, and hopping around barking at her, she gets nervous as they're moving so much (guess they're a bit less predictable). She does cope with it pretty well so should ignore his screaming, but might have a bit of a whine back, I'm not entirely sure to be honest as we only pass little dogs on walks, I've never actually walked with one! Well, except for my mum's pup when she was little, but she seemed to get that bit of leeway that dogs tend to give puppies.
She would probably be a bit calmer if we were in a group walk, or at least one or two other big dogs, though we could give it a try just the two of us with parallel walking etc - might help her get used to little dogs too. I can't really spare much in the way of non-essential petrol for a while but I'd be happy to meet up locally if you were able to come a bit closer this way I have some nice walking areas right near me or could probably manage the odd trip within 20 mins or so - there's Harmondsworth Moor nearby, Virginia Water lakes/Windsor Great Park (bit busy though) or Lightwater Country Park is nice.
She is pretty Rottie-like, though a bit slimmer with a longer snout. Probably close enough to fool Buster!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Karly that'd be great - happy to head your way - always like walking new places.

I'll probably keep him onlead - he's more confident onlead.

Other than the "stay away from me" scream up he doesn't make much noise at all.

He'll probably stay quite close to me and then being the social dog he is, try a polite sniff when he's/ they are happy.

A "Hello Buster" might give an instant "With us status" and avoid the noise pollution. Otherwise once we start walking he should settle quickly.

Or he'll be completely fine & you'll wonder what I'm going on about.

I'll Veto Harmondworth moor for a 1st meeting - despite the fact I'm there 5 days a week & work next door - on the basis that was where he got beaten up (and pretty much where he learned to bark back at the Rottweiller we used walk past on the way).

Otherwise anywhere you like.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Though he did wind Cain up a bit by spending the first 5 minutes of the walk rolling in the grass.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I'll PM you details of my nearby walk then, if that's do-able for you then it would be best for me, saves a bit of petrol!

If he's rolling around then I'll just keep a bit of distance - madam takes rolling dogs as an invitation to go and hump over them! As Cain has been subjected to But it does tend to encourage her to have a bit of a roll around too so might relax her a bit actually!
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-03-2012, 08:35 PM
wish i lived closer as my rottie cross would love your walk never mind.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm in Berks with a rott but i don't drive where abouts are you Sosha?
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by JackieandMia View Post
I'm in Berks with a rott but i don't drive where abouts are you Sosha?

Hi Jackie,

I'm in Slough but can travel.

Basically since being beaten up he treats all Rottweilers as if they are the unfriendly one we used to encounter regularly on our walks.

That used to be pretty much the only one we'd see and it would be good to work on redressing the balance.

Quick Update:

We came across the same dog he freaked out at again this morning - Rocky. We have met Rocky before a couple of times last year albeit with other dogs along, and though tentative he was OK.

Same Hysterical barking (and wagging tail) but I asked the owner if we could tag along for a bit to see if he would calm down.

He did eventually but there was quite a while where he was barking in "Stay away" mode (?) everytime Rocky looked his way.

Rocky was great - he just mooched along, annoying his owner by chewing up sticks, and occasionally cadging a treat off me - regardless of the shreaky one on the end of the lead.

On the plus side Buster was accepting treats when calm, sitting on command, and when we parted ways accepted some fuss from the bloke - which he wouldn't do if really unhappy.

His guts were definitely churning though!

Think meeting a random dog while out is different to meeting a dog and going on a walk. Bit jumping in with both feet with no preparation.

I'd just like to re-teach him Rottie's = good things - no need to panic!

He's quite a sociable dog who used to be fine with anything with four legs. Now he's a bit Breedist.

Put you all off yet?

S.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >