Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 12:26 AM
well done all 3
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Wow, that's so great! What did you do to teach them this? Seriously, do you have another thread around here that tells how to teach this to the dogs? My huskies Kieron and Houdini are terrible at taking turns. They always want to be in front of each other. It is a terrible time trying to put their leashes on them, they jump over each other and paw the leash, knocking it right out of my hand! How'd you do it?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by SibeLuver03
My huskies Kieron and Houdini are terrible at taking turns. They always want to be in front of each other. It is a terrible time trying to put their leashes on them, they jump over each other and paw the leash, knocking it right out of my hand! How'd you do it?
Teach them the 'wait' command. Then you can say "Kieron, wait. Houdini through" or vice-versa.

Make them sit or stand quietly to have their leashes put on. If they persist in jumping around, put the leashes away and try again later. Initially you can give a small food reward when they sit, but the real reward should be leads attached and off for a walk. They will soon realise that if they do not settle to have themselves leaded up this will result in no walk.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Originally Posted by bellaluna
I'm having problems getting Luna and Bella to heel at the same time......
That's interesting Jeanette. I work mine in brace and they will heel together, including signal exercises, almost better than they work separately. I put it down to competition for resources, i.e. the food rewards for good work

Well done Kazz. You will feel much safer now
Well SB you see, Bella (he gsd) is walking as if glued to my leg, and then Luna don't know where to walk, as when she usually heels its next to me......

Bella is not my dog, and don't do many things, but one thing she does REALLY well, is heel. And u can walk her better at heel off lead than on lead....

I don't know how to do this. It would be so much easier if I could have them both heel of lead next to eachother.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2004, 09:01 AM
I can understand your problem Jeanette. You could teach Luna to heel wide (that is, to Bella's left), but that would not be advisable, especially if you are considering competition obedience. Have you thought about teaching one of them to walk on your right? Your would need a different command from 'heel'. I use 'side' to get the correct position and 'walk' for the forward movement. If one or the other drifts off, the command 'heel' or 'side', depending on the offender, will get him/her back into position.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 09:16 AM
aaah SB that would be a great idea.

But as Bella isnt mine and her mum teaching her heel on the left side, I'm afraid I'm gonna confuse the poor thing.

Between u and me, Bella got the looks of the litter, not the brains
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks for that SB, I appreciate it! Looks like I've alot of work ahead of me. It takes alot of patience for a hyper husky to sit calmly. Oh well, to the door we go!
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by candie
mm haven't quite mastered that one yet, have all 4 charging at us all the time!!lol
sounds like mine Candie
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Have just spoken to my friend, Bella's owner, and she told me that she have no probs with getting them to heel both....

But she has Luna on the outside, and it works, cause she isnt me I think.

I mean Bella walks closest to her owner... so of course it would work!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >