View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-01-2024, 04:45 PM
Sounds like us Kazz, too much dog and we haven't taken a bad fall yet but I can see it coming.
Gorden has said he takes full responsibility as it was mainly his idea and I said I wish I had put my foot down harder.

We saw some people we know from when we walked Dillon they had a rough collie.
Their daughter now lives back with them and the dad had a stroke, the daughter has a 4 year old Lab who is hard work to walk only she walks him, she came over to say hello to Brewster and I was telling the breeder was taking him back.
Her elderly mum then came out and we said he will knock you over so she admired him from a distance. She said when we were telling her the situation they won't put him down will they ?
We assured her no unless he was ill he will be well looked after.

There was a Bernese rescue a couple of months back writing up about a Bernese young one who they had rehomed, a retired man had decided to have another after losing one and very soon realised the young adolescent was to much for him to manage so surrendered him to the rescue and they rehomed the dog with a much younger family who could cope.
All the dogs that go through rescue and adapt very quickly is amazing and those surrendered back to the breeder if your sensible enough to make sure you purchase from a breeder that does that or rehomes for you.
I think I worry more about Brewster because of all we have been through with him and as Gorden said all I have done to bring him through, researching the vitamins and minerals the food and the general care and it hurts to to let him go and I just hope they look after him half as well as I have.
I know deep down they will and that Elaine will be keeping a close eye on his care and behaviour.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2024, 05:39 PM
We well I suppose I took on a young male rescue Stafford 11 months old he was not manageable by his original owners a young couple think they totally underestimated young Staffie males. I got him because all other foster homes had either a male already or not able to take on a youngster.

He was here for about 4 months before they found forever home for him in that time he turned from nightmare to a bad dream as I used to say; at least you arm stayed in its socket he had good recalll and listened well, biting stopped and "tigger" jumping gone. Not simply down to the excercise but routine my youth then; breed experince maybe and also more I think making him use his brain and not giving in when he got rough when he came here he was used to being on the sofa in his old home the humans were in the kitchen on the chairs but not the armchair he would not let them on that. On occasion apparently they sat on the stairs while he had run of the house been open plan the stairs were the only safe space.

When he left here I was sad but so glad and made me realise what work youngsters were, he left us to go to a young guy in a wheelchair and they go all over the Country. Still get pictures and cards.

So Lynn there are happy endings lots of rescues especially breed ones will tell you the same.

There is no fault/blame in taking action the fault/blame would lie in not taking action.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-01-2024, 06:29 PM
True Kazz.
He isn't allowed on sofas or beds because even without problems we keep them off due to developing joints.
Dillon used to get on the bed when we moved to Upwell I soon taught him off and on his bed with treats.
His behaviour was already in the right place though so it made it so much easier.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2024, 09:45 PM
Lynn,make sure you pack a t-shirt or jumper with yours and gordens smell, I had my mates dog overnight when he died, the police wouldn't allow me to remove a jumper for sam to smell his dad And we had a very unsettled night, Sam knew me as I walked him a couple of times a week but he missed his dad.
Think of it this way, there are people who would love a younger dog but can't have one because of the house training....you have done that bit. If the situation isn't right for you, it will never work, as much as you love Brewster, you would always be worrying and he will pick up on that...of you are worried about him not wanting to go in the van, remove yourself from the situation.... it's going to be hard enough for you without you fretting over him being upset etc.
Sue, I think men can just be a.little abrupt sometimes, women tend to sugar coat things and nice it out, men just get to the point... sometimes a little bluntly.
Brenda, eff them.... that's my advice, the situation with your husband wasn't working, you did what you needed to do, you still cared as I know you contacted his Dr when you were concerned....bet his family didn't!! Let her flap her chops, he now has dementia so therefore he can't make a will "being of sound mind".
Kazz, I am doing o.k, I am always alright but it's hard watching a lady who has done nothing wrong be bullied and manipulated.....she knows she can say anything to me and I will be honest....when she has done something that could bite her on the bum legally, I will help sort it. I sat in the cold for 4 1/2 hours because I was concerned when she cameout of court he would get at her, the way he behaves is disgusting and tbh, of he died tomorrow, I would be throwing a massive party, the world would be a better place!
Chris, I hope your spark has been and you now have a toasty warm room....I need to bleed the radiator in the hall but there's a massive cabinet on front of it, you can certainly notice the difference.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2024, 12:57 AM
The room won't warm up until tomorrow. Night storage heaters are a flaming pain, but it's what we have so we have to lump it
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2