Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Chest freezers any one help?

looking at a chest freezer i need to buy for the dogs food.

it says its 70 litres. how many 1lb bags can i fit into it? as they come in trays of 20 from the supplier, and i need to know how much i can fit in it so i can put my order in, as the freezer and the food order both come next week

so any ideas?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:02 AM
My freezer is, I think (going by similar sized looking ones online) about 225l. I order roughly 110-120lb of meat every 6 weeks. I also order bulkier bits like meaty bones, rabbit, carcasses etc. so if I was ordering purely bags of meat I could fit a bit more, but generally it's full quite near to the top on delivery day. Thre is stuff in there already though (as I order for other people and depends on when they've collected) plus I use the side section for human food, so I'd say at a guess there's about 200lb in there plus the carcasses etc. so it'd probably fit about 250lb of packs of meat at a push.
So 70l is just under a third of that, so about 80lb.
Found a website online that reckons chest freezers generally fit 35-40 lb per cubic foot - 70l is 2.47 cubic feet, so 35x2.47 = 86lb, not too far off my estimate.
One thing to allow for is irregular shaped packs. I know the Prize Choice stuff is very neat perfect blocks but the stuff from The Dogfood Company comes in an assortment of shapes! All 2lb but sometimes they're frozen a bit squashed so they're thicker and shorter, sometimes flatter so wider and taller, etc. so don't all stack perfectly. If you can afford to under-order (I'd say maybe try 2 or 3 boxes) then you can get an idea for how well that fits.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:06 AM
thanks for that. just found a 100ltre one and its not much more expensive so i may get that one instead, but either way 60lb bags last near on 3 months for my two, but if it fits that much in then im ordering pretty much every 3 months anyway.. it sounds so sad that im excited about getting a freezer
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thanks for that. just found a 100ltre one and its not much more expensive so i may get that one instead, but either way 60lb bags last near on 3 months for my two, but if it fits that much in then im ordering pretty much every 3 months anyway.. it sounds so sad that im excited about getting a freezer
I got giddy too

Ours is a small chest freezer - not sure on measurements but it's last a good months lot of dog food I bought 15.5kg of raw.. I work in kgs
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
Not sad at all - I was so excited when Pereg's freezer arrived and am still tickled pink to think she has her very own freezer!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:49 AM
dont have a freezer for phoebe, but i did get very excited when her very own bank card turned up. in my name obviously but purly for using for phoebe
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:00 PM
i get so much more excited when i buy stuff for the dogs than i do myself
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:32 PM
My dogs have got their own freezer and Mum has to be content with her meat in the freezer half of the fridge/freezer which also contains all the frozen veggies.

Just hope we don't have a winter like last year when I couldn't get out for over three weeks otherwise I'll have to start eating their meat and I don't think they'll like that!