Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I'm sure I'm going to regret this and set myself up for a downfall but I've actually been in two car accidents. Neither of which were my fault.

I think the biggest problem these days is there is far too much scaremongering in the world. Yes accidents happen everyday but that doesn't mean i want to spend my life driving round stressing that it will happen to me (again!).
If one blissfully drives round thinking an accident is never going to happen to them, they are a danger, if you drive around aware that accidents happen on a daily basis, through no fault of your own, you are a safer driver.

So on the basis that you have been involved in 2 accidents (both minor) you conclude , that its not as bad as its made out to be...
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I see, so you are happy for a Boxer to be moving around on the back seat of your car, because you have had no need to make an emergency stop in the last 8yrs...so in all likey hood you wont have the need in the next 8yrs????

Tell me, do you buckle up when you buckle up when you get in a car, do your passengers buckle up also.

Why do we wear seat belts??????
It's got nothing to do with the amount of emergency stops I've had to do whether I secure my dog or not. I just don't consider the risk or likelihood to be great enough to need to restrain Monty.

And of course I buckle up, it's the law. However the law doesn't say my dog HAS to wear a seatbelt it only suggests that this is one method of restraining him.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 09:24 AM
It's got nothing to do with the amount of emergency stops I've had to do whether I secure my dog or not. I just don't consider the risk or likelihood to be great enough to need to restrain Monty.

And of course I buckle up, it's the law. However the law doesn't say my dog HAS to wear a seatbelt it only suggests that this is one method of restraining him.
if it was not the law, would you buckle up
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
If one blissfully drives round thinking an accident is never going to happen to them, they are a danger, if you drive round aware that accidents happen on a daily basis, through no fault of your own, you are a safer driver.

So on the basis that you have been involved in 2 accidents (both minor) you conclude , that its not as bad as its made out to be...
Please do not make assumptions about my driving style. I do not drive around blissfully unaware and assuming that accidents will never happen to me because they have and I know they can happen.

Every person who gets behind the wheel of a car is a danger to other people regardless of how they drive or their mentality.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Why can't Monty go in the boot behind a dog guard if you don't want to crate him or use a seatbelt?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
if it was not the law, would you buckle up
Of course i would.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why can't Monty go in the boot behind a dog guard if you don't want to crate him or use a seatbelt?
He's fine in the boot until i need to use the rear windscreen wiper and then he freaks out and tries to jump over into the backseat.

I've tried sitting with the car on the drive and sitting in the boot with him with the windscreen wiper running and distracting him when it clicks in but he still gets stressed by it.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't think you understood my point. I'm saying that strapped in or crated the dog could just as easily be injured by the force of an emergency stop.

I'm more likely to be distracted by the noise and stress my dog would make/cause if I forced him to sit on one spot or crated him but then I expect someone will tell me that's my fault for not doing this from an earlier age.

So are you saying that a dog should be forced to stay either sat or lay down for the duration of a car journey whether that be 15minutes or 4 hours? If so then i find that unacceptable.

Maybe I don't fully understand how these harness things that secure a dog work.

Regardless of the length of our car journeys monty will only move around the car/look out the window/hang his head out for the first 10-15 minutes max then he either sits and looks out the back window or lies down and goes to sleep so I don't feel the need to tether and restrict his movement.
Nobody is saying a dog should be forced to sit or lie down. Shady travels in the estate part behind a dog guard or in a crate. She does not lie down the whole journey she stands and looks out of the windows but does not have her head hanging dangerously out of a window.
I did use a car harness on milo at times and he could also stand, sit or lie down and look out the window but I never had the window down far enough for his head to be out.
Monty may only hang his head out for 15mins but it only takes a few seconds for an accident to happen and yes crated and restrained dogs can suffer bad injuries but not as bad as a loose dog, and passengers would not also be injured by a restrained dog.
You can switch off to a dog making a noise when in a crate or restrained as you know they are safe but when they are moving about on a seat and sticking thier head out of windows that is a big distraction to you and other drivers.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
What sort of car do you have? Am sure people could suggest the best guard to get then he wouldnt have to be 'tethered' as it where? In my saxo I had a guard that fitted between the 2 front seats and he had the back seat to himself.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Aha i see it the wiper that freaks him out, poor chap! In that case, I wouldnt use the wiper. No, seriously! Although i dont have a rear wiper on my car so i dont ever use one anyway.
Page 11 of 49 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »