Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Job offer...

rite - ok ,, let me explain cos i need your views.....

i work currently in my part time job waitressing - i love it - but i need a new challenge

i was going to college this sept to study 2 years on hospitality with eventually becoming a manager at a pub etc....

now, my supervisor (who rocks ) is leaving,,, job opening

my deputy manager said he would like to put me forward for the job,, working full time, as a supervisor - imagine my face sooooo that would mean doing my NVQ level 2 while im working, bossing people about in a more challenging job, giving me experience and earning money

I told my mum tonight, about it etc - not confirmed yet - they have to speak to the bosses etc,,,, but if it comes up ive told her imt aking it

obviously being in education is like agap from working full time for acouple of years but im so desparate to do this job full time and next year is my opportunity to then apply for the management

question is - do i

go for the job if it comes up
take the job if it comes up,,, for a year then go college....(for 2 year course in hospitality)
cary on as i am and just go college

considering my recent college post im leaning towards taking the job........

thoughts???
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 06:11 AM
If it was me Suze I think I would do whatever the strongest disire was............for instance if 30% wanted to saty as I was, Then 30% wanted to take the job, but 40% wanted to do the job with the view of going to college in a year..........then I'd go with the 40%.

If you get my meaning..................good luck anyway
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 06:21 AM
I'd make a couple of lists, pros and cons.
Then you will be able to tell which outweighs the other.

Can't be any more help, because I don't know how much progression in that industry relies on qualifications.
In my old job there was a ceiling on how far you could progress without papers.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I think given your recent experience at college, taking a year out to work, build up some cash and get some experience might give you the chance to assess what you really want to do. In a years time you could still apply for your course and you would have some real experience to call on to help your studies. If at that time you decide college isn't for you then you have a foot in the door.JMO!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I think given your recent experience at college, taking a year out to work, build up some cash and get some experience might give you the chance to assess what you really want to do. In a years time you could still apply for your course and you would have some real experience to call on to help your studies. If at that time you decide college isn't for you then you have a foot in the door.JMO!
Agree with Fudgeley, that way you get your cake and eat it
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 08:47 AM
I would take the job xxxxx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 08:54 AM
thanks guys,,,

since posting this me and my mum spoke for and hourand a half about this all

im going to keep my options open atm - the bosses are away until next week so its gonna b 2 weeks before i know anything

at the moment after speak with my mum about different options - one was being contact my head office and ask about any training courses as trainee manager etc...

my goal is to run my own pub,, my own business - not having to answer to anyone etc...

atm im sort of leaning towards college and asking for supevisor part time which may be anogo but seeing as i do 20 odd hours a week anyhow and atm full timers are only on 30 - tha may be possible - then i will have the best of both worlds

know i do a good job there - last night i trained my first person (lol) and enjoyed it, and tonight im being trusted to help lock up wiht the stand in deputy manager - which is aheck of alot of trust imo....

also like my mum said - i hvae gcse's and 2 As levels - i would like more qualifications, and tbh it does benefits me staying at college - even though i would rather work

its all so crazy! i have two weeeks to think about it, i just dont want to make the wrong decision, i cna always apply for a supervisor position at another pub -

Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 02:56 PM
*bumpety bump*
any other thoughts??

ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 09:04 AM
If it was me take the job you could always do a night course later on.. these dad people want experience as well and nvq's ect.
ATD x
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Personally I don't think you can beat experience,it's ok going to college but you need experience to go with it.

If it was me I'd go for the job, and go to college later on,that way you have experience as well as qualificatons.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >