Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Cat bites are taken VERY seriously.

The first thing to do after a bite, is wash the wound/s with soap and water continuously under the tap for about 5 minutes - yes, that long! - then seek medical help.

When I was bitten by a cat a few months ago, we called out the paramedic. He dressed the wounds, made sure my tetanus was up to date, took BP, temp, and straight away gave me some industrial strength antibiotics. I was to go to A&E the next day to get he dressings changes (in fact I ended up going 3 times over the course of the week, and was put on a stronger dose of ABs).

While he was dressing the wounds he was telling me how over 80% of cat bites become infected, and how the tendon sheaths can become infected even if the teeth don't puncture it, and warned me I could end up having surgery on my hands to have my tendon sheaths flushed!

Cat bites are taken so seriously that a Vet Nurse gets sent straight to A&E afer even a minor bite, and any judge at a cat show who is bitten has an ambulance called and goes to A&E.

I wish I was joking.... but they are probably the worse animal bite you can have (after primate/monkey).

Luckily I healed OK but everyone gave me dire warnings! Scared the life out of me!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2