Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Is it OTT to go to doctors.

Ok I don't normally do doctors, but Im putting off the seven mile trek home, so thought I would ask. Today when I volunteered at the sanctuary I was put with the cats, I didn't mind at all, infact enjoyed it, but I was stroking one while talking to the person in charge of the area when the cat bit me, the wound hurts, and has broken the skin, it actually looks like it was a claw that did it, if I didn't know for sure myself, but if it wasn't a bite I wouldn't mind, but after what happened the last time I got bit by a animal I've started to care more, but is it OTT to go the doctors because a experience last time, or should I just walk there tomorrow and see what they say?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Is your tetanus jab up to date? When my friend's dpg accidentally bit me (it mistook my thumb for a stick it was trying to grab ) I went to the doctor's for a tetanus jab.

The tetanus jab actually hurt more than the dog bite though!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I'd go to the doctors with it. A cat bite can get very nasty very quickly.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2011, 06:07 PM
When I got bit by my dog on the knee (He was aiming for another dog) I had a tetanus jab and was put on antibiotics. I remember the nurse telling me cat bites were worse as you have more of a chance of infection. I would go if I was you.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 06:24 PM
No idea if my tetanus jab is up to date, I had it done in school but don't know how long they last, but beings as I have a choicd between the community hospital which has drop in first aid, or the doctors at the village which is who got me in trouble with my dog bite, I think I'll have to wait till when the community hospital is open again on Monday and go in there and see what they say.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Get it seen to, sooner rather than later.
Cat bites are lethal. Not only are they dirty but they often go down to the bone. If it has gone into a joint you could be in real trouble. Sorry to scaremonger but it is something to think about.
Is your community hospital not open at all at the weekends?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 06:42 PM
It is if you need a bed or have given birth apparently as it has a small maternaty ward and has beds for people who need care but want to be closer to home, but the first aid department is only open mon-fri exc bank holidays, but what I don't get is that they say its drop in, but ask you to call first, surely if you have to call its not drop in? But I will ring them up Mon morning and try to get in then, unless it starts looking really bad then I'll try and get somewhere over the weekend to have it seen to.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
No idea if my tetanus jab is up to date, I had it done in school but don't know how long they last, but beings as I have a choicd between the community hospital which has drop in first aid, or the doctors at the village which is who got me in trouble with my dog bite, I think I'll have to wait till when the community hospital is open again on Monday and go in there and see what they say.
If you had the full course of tetanus shots, then it is usually only needed to have a booster every ten years, but if you have had a possible exposure you should get atetanus shot if it has been five years or more since the last one.

If you had a tetanus shot in school it would have been the fifth one of the full course, starting with the three shots as a baby, the fourth at pre-school age, and the final one as a teenager.

If that was more than five years ago then yes, you definitely should have a tetanus booster now. If it was a lot longer than five years, you might need a course of three.

As has been said here, cat bites and scratches are dangerous and could be deadly. Dog bites are not so bad, but any puncture wound that might have caused exposure to toxins really do require up to date tetanus protection.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Tetanus jabs should be redone every ten years.

A triage nurse should be able to adminster ABs, mine did when I was bitten several years ago. I said I did not want to wait until I was rushed in with septicaemia and so camped out until I was given some.
ILoveMy10Dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2011, 07:07 PM
This could be serious! I have 8 ctas, 4 of which are kittens, and I would recommend going.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >